Financial Aid for Transfer Students

Financial aid does not transfer from institution to institution. If you are an incoming transfer student to William Paterson, you need to be aware of and follow several processes, so the University can process your financial aid:

  • Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). List WPUNJ as one of your six college choices. William Paterson's Federal School Code is 002625.
    • If you have already completed a FAFSA but did not request that the data be sent to William Paterson University, you can have two ways to have the information forwarded to the University: 1) Update your FAFSA online by adding the WPUNJ school code, or 2) call 1.800-4FEDAID and request that WPUNJ be added. Learn more about Correcting or Updating your FAFSA.
  • If you received a New Jersey Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) or state scholarship, you must notify the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA) of your plan to transfer. This will allow the awards to be sent to WPUNJ. You may notify them by calling 1.800.792.8670 Monday through Friday during normal business hours, or by correcting your Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) as indicated.
  • If you received a Direct Loan (or Stafford Loan) at your former school, you should contact them to complete Exit Counseling. Additionally, if your previous school gave you a Perkins Loan, contact their loan collections office to complete an in-school deferment form.
  • If you were chosen for federal verification at your previous college and completed the process, you would still need to complete William Paterson's Verification Procedures as well.

Transfer students may also be eligible for Institutional Scholarships. Merit scholarships for transfer students are extremely competitive. For priority consideration, all supporting documents must be received by June 1 for Fall Semesters and November 1 for Spring Semesters, unless otherwise noted in the scholarship description. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. All scholarship recipients who are U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents or Eligible Non-Citizens are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1, and must accept all need-based financial federal and state grants. 

Another way to fund your education if you are a transfer student, is by working under the Federal Work Study Program or as a Student Assistant. Read more about Student Employment at William Paterson University.