Veteran Students' Responsibilities

Veteran students at William Paterson University have ongoing responsibilities to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The DVA and the Veterans Services office at William Paterson University closely monitor each veteran student's enrollment status and academic program. The student's entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled, and any changes in academic program.


Veteran students at William Paterson University must do the following:

  1. Complete a Veteran Deferment form and submit a commander certification for National Guardsmen and a NOBE for Reservist. This has to be done prior to the start of the semester. Those using the Post 9/11 GI Bill must submit a certificate of eligibility.  
  2. Register only for courses which are required for completion of your degree.
  3. Do not register for a course(s) in which a passing grade was earned, even if it was taken at another institution.
  4. Notify Office of Veteran & Military Affairs at if you:
    • change programs;
    • change course load, even if it does not affect VA benefit;
    • withdraw from classes;
    • do not enroll for a term for which you are certified;
    • terminate enrollment;
    • are placed on Academic Dismissal;
    • change address. (You also need to directly inform the Department of Veterans Affairs);
    • have depleted your VA educational benefits.