Address and name changes for active and separated employees

Active employees or employees on a leave of absence:

Address changes:

To change address with William Paterson University, please navigate to WP Connect > Employee Tab > My HR Profile > View/Update My Address Info.

Health Benefits:

  • If you are covered under the State Health Benefits Plan you must update your address in Benefitsolver.
  • If you are enrolled in the Unreimbursed Medical Plan or the Dependent Care Plans you must contact HorizonBlue to update your address.

Retirement / Pensions:

       Members or retirees of the ABP,  DCRP, or SACT:

       Members of PERS or PFRS:

  • Active employees: Please update your address in Benefitsolver. Your revised address will be transferred to the PERS / PFRS pension system. Please note it can take 7 - 10 business days before changes made in Benefitsolver are reflected in both EPIC and pension systems.
  • Retirees of the PERS, TPAF, PFRS, SPRS, or JRS must use the Retiree Change of Address Form to report an address change

Name changes:

A request to change your name in the University's system must be made in person at Human Resources, located in College Hall, Room 150.

For employees (faculty or staff), federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting. Thus, in order to reflect your name change on your personnel and payroll records, please complete this form and you must present your social security card which reflects your new name to Human Resources.

For additional information on how to apply for, replace, correct, or change your name on your Social Security Card, click here. 

 If you are enrolled in a retirement or pension plan you must also submit a separate name change form to the State. Members of ABP, PERS and PFRS must complete this form and have it notarized. Send the notarized form along  with the following documentation directly to the State:

  • For name changes, attach a photocopy of a valid N.J. driver’s license, Social Security card, or current passport reflecting your name change.
  • For gender changes, attach a copy of the court document reflecting the gender change. 

Separated employees:

To change your name and/or address, please use this form and email it to