Parking / Motor Vehicle

Vehicle Registration

To enhance the security of the campus, the University requires all vehicles, which are parked on campus, to be registered with University Police and to display appropriate university decals or permits. As a result, all vehicles parked on campus must bear a valid William Paterson University parking permit/decal, which must be visibly displayed whenever the vehicle is parked on campus, and each student and/or university employee must register his/her vehicle with the William Paterson University Police Department to park on campus. The only exception to the parking decal requirement is a visitor’s vehicle parked in designated visitor’s spot.

At William Paterson University, its community members are responsible for ensuring that their vehicles are registered and are operated in conformance with university policy as well as state laws. Only William Paterson University students who are registered for classes and University employees are allowed parking privileges.

Online Registration Form

To register a vehicle used by a student or a university employee, that person must register their vehicle online.  To do so, a person must complete the online application and submit it.  If there is a problem with the online registration, contact the Police Department at (973) 720-2301.

Ownership of Vehicle

A person does not specifically need to own a vehicle to park it on the university campus. A student or university employee may register a vehicle belonging to another person with the University Police Department with the permission of the vehicle’s owner.

Temporary Parking Permit

If a student or a university employee must borrow a vehicle temporarily and needs to park the borrowed vehicle on campus, that person must acquire a temporary parking permit. To obtain a temporary permit, the person needs to go directly to the Violations Bureau located in the Public Safety Building located at Entry #1 and request a permit. The temporary permit is valid for a maximum time of two weeks.  If you need the temporary permit for an extended period after two weeks, you will need to request a new one.

More Information