Advisement Social

instagram icon


How many credits are required for graduation?

To qualify for an undergraduate degree at WPU, a student must earn a minimum of 120 credits in an authorized program of study to which one has been duly admitted and achieve a minimum of 2.0 © cumulative grade-point average and a 2.0 average in the chosen major. Due to requirements of accrediting agencies, some majors may require more than 120 credits and a GPA greater than 2.0 in the major for retention and graduation. Students are expected to be familiar with major and other degree requirements. Interdisciplinary programs or honors programs may also have unique requirements.

When should I declare a major?

Students in good academic standing may apply to declare or change one or more majors while attending their first semester at William Paterson University.

When should I declare a major?

What is a Leave of Absence?

Undergraduate students withdrawing from all courses for any given semester must apply for a Leave of Absence from the University.

  1. To be eligible for a Leave of Absence students must be in good academic standing.(Overall GPA of 2.00 or better) 
  2. A Leave of Absence may be granted for one academic year (two semesters).
  3. Students must apply for a Leave of Absence 30 days prior to the last day of classes of the semester for which it is applicable.
  4. To apply for a Leave of Absence please go to WPCONNECT at the student services tab and file the necessary information. 

How do I withdraw from a class? What, if any issues do I encounter for doing so?

Students adjust their schedules for various reasons, but these adjustments should only be made during the add/drop period ( Dropping courses may have a negative impact on your academic path:

  1. Dropping below 15 credits may jeopardize your ability to graduate in a timely fashion.
  2. Student must complete at least 30 credits per academic year in order to earn the 120 credits required for graduation.
  3. Dropping courses can jeopardize your eligibility for financial aid.

Before dropping a course, consult with your academic advisor to fully understand the implications of dropping the course and to develop a plan for achieving success in the course.

Once you have consulted with your advisor and you're ready to drop from the course, you may take the following steps:

  1. In WPConnect, go to the Student tab.
  2. Click on My Registration > Add / Drop Courses
  3. Click on Register for Classes
  4. Select current semester
  5. Use your Pin for the current semester
  6. You'll see a page and on the right it will say "Summary" with a list of your classes.
  7. Click on the dropdown menu next to the course that you wish to drop.
  8. Hit "Submit" or "Save"

I have been placed on Early Alert. What does that mean?

Early alerts are an early warning system, used to identify students at risk of academic difficulty or failure.  This program is designed to facilitate students’ utilization of campus resources and improve academic success and persistence toward degree. Once a student is placed on Early Alert the Coordinator for Academic Progress, the student’s advisor, and the student is notified and the intervention process begins. Please speak to your academic advisor about resolving that alert, so that you may do well in your course (s) and successfully make progress toward graduation.

What happens if I am placed on academic probation?

William Paterson University expects all matriculated undergraduate students to maintain a cumulative grade point average (hereafter referred to in this policy as "GPA") of at least 2.0.* The basic principle of this policy, therefore, is that any student whose GPA falls below 2.0 is no longer in good standing. Academic standing will be computed at the end of the first semester at which time the student has accumulated a total of 12 attempted credits, and every semester thereafter. As academic standing is a serious matter, it is important that all students set as a priority and succeed in the achievement of the 2.0 GPA or better at the conclusion of each semester.  

*Students are advised that admission to, continuation in, and graduation from majors requiring a GPA higher than 2.0 is dependent upon achievement of that higher GPA.

The University is committed to helping you improve your academic performance so that you may return to good standing and make progress toward your degree. To that end, I strongly advise you to do the following:

  1. Meet with your advisor, as soon as possible, to discuss your academic plan and next steps. Continue to meet with your advisor on a monthly basis throughout the semester.
  2. Take advantage of the tutoring and counseling services the University offers, which are designed to help you achieve success in your classes.
  3. Consider taking summer classes.

What is SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress)?

Students receiving financial aid need to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0, a 67% completion rate, and graduate in a maximum time-frame of 180 attempted credits.  Expunged grades as well as grades earned for remedial coursework are included when financial aid SAP is calculated.

Financial Aid regulations in reference to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) have become stricter over the last 3 years.  If you are a financial aid recipient, here are some important things to know about Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Students must maintain a 67% completion rate for all coursework.
  • A student is eligible to receive funding up to 180 attempted credits (maximum time frame).
  • Students have the right to appeal but must show extenuating circumstances: such as the death of a relative, injury or illness of the student or family member, or other extenuating circumstances.
  • Students must submit supporting documentation.  Appeals will not be reviewed without documentation.
  • Expunged grades are included in the financial aid  SAP calculation for both GPA and completion rate.
  • Remedial credits are counted in the financial aid SAP calculation.

For additional information about Financial Aid and the SAP regulation please visit: