Disabled Adult Child (DAC)

Social Security Disability Insurance

What is Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): When a parent retires, becomes disabled or dies, minor children and disabled adult children may receive SSDI benefits.

How does SSDI affect Supplemental Social Security (SSI) eligibility:

Minor Child

If receiving SSI, those payments will likely stop as SSDI benefits are usually too high for the minor child to continue receiving SSI. The child will instead receive SSDI benefits.

Adult child

If receiving SSI, those payments will likely stop as SSDI benefits are usually too high for the adult to continue receiving SSI. The adult child will instead receive SSDI benefits.

What happens when an adult with disabilities loses SSI due to receiving SSDI based on a parent’s work record: In many cases, the child may qualify for Medicaid as a Disabled Adult Child (DAC) under Section 1634 of the Social Security Act. See this link for more information: https://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/ddd/assets/documents/individuals/dac-flyer.pdf

DAC eligibility requirements:

  • Must be at least 18 years of age;
  • Have blindness or a disability which began before the age of 22;
  • Have been receiving SSI based on blindness or disability; and
  • Lost SSI due to the receipt of (SSDI) benefits due to the retirement, death or disability of a parent.

What happens if deemed a DAC: Social Security should send a letter stating that you may continue to be eligible to receive Medicaid as a Section 1634 DAC.

If receiving DDD services, DDD should send a packet containing a request for information that is similar to a Medicaid application. You should complete and return the required information and documentation promptly as that will ensure there is no lapse in the Medicaid coverage. If you do not receive or have lost the Social Security DAC letter, call them at 1-800-772-1213 and request that they resend the letter.

If not receiving DDD services, the County Board of Social Services should send the request for information. If you do not receive the packet, contact your County’s Board of Social Services.

If you have questions, or if you have difficulty obtaining Medicaid for an individual who may be eligible for Section 1634 DAC status, you should contact your DDD Case Manager or Support Coordinator, or send an email to DDD's Medicaid Eligibility Help Desk: DDD.MediElighelpdesk@dhs.state.nj.us.

In the alternative, you can seek help from the ARC of NJ by submitting the form from this link: https://www.arcnj.org/file_download/inline/957e1adb-be84-4ead-bc6b-47e96376b774