How To Apply FAQ

To apply for a degree, certificate, post-masters or non-degree status, you must complete a Graduate Admissions Application and include all the required credentials. To apply online or download an application, click here. You may also request graduate admissions information by contacting the Office of Graduate Admissions at 973.720.3641 or

What are the requirements for admissions to a graduate program at William Paterson University? (Please note all admission requirements must be submitted for your file to be reviewed.)

1. A completed application and $50 application fee; (with the exception of Clinical Psychology (PsyD), Clinical and Counseling Psychology (MA) Speech Language Pathology (MS), see Apply Now page for details. Application fees are non-refundable). 

    • New and currently enrolled non-degree seeking students are required to re-apply each subsequent term.

2. Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or course-by-course evaluation for international students.

3. Official transcripts from all previous colleges/universities attended sent directly to William Paterson University from the home institution.

Any degree or course work taken outside the United States must have A course-by-course credit evaluation from a NACES accredited or AICE endorsed evaluation service. 

4. Two letters of recommendation (three for clinical and counseling psychology & speech language pathology).

5. Some programs may have additional requirements; click here for program requirements.

What are the application deadlines?

Application deadlines vary by department. Please reference the Apply Now page for program deadlines. Some programs accept applications on a rolling admission basis and the applications will be processed as they are received for the upcoming term. Applications will not be reviewed until they are complete and it may take several weeks to render a decision. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early.

What is the application fee?

The application fee is $50; (Application fees are non-refundable).

When submitting the web application, you may pay your application fee by credit card at the end of the application process.

If you are paying by check or money order. Make your $50 check payable to William Paterson University. Send payment to:

William Paterson University
Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services
300 Pompton Road
Morrison Hall 102
Wayne, NJ 07470

What do the terms non-degree, certificate and post-masters refer to?

Non-degree: You may take up to 9 credits without being accepted into a program. To proceed beyond these limits, you must gain acceptance to a graduate program. Please note that taking non-degree courses does not guarantee you acceptance into a program.

Graduate Certification Program: This is for teachers who are seeking an initial State of New Jersey teaching certification.

Graduate Endorsement Program: This is for teachers who are already certified in the State of New Jersey and are interested in obtaining additional licenses.

Can I take classes before being admitted to a program (non-degree status)?

1. Go to Apply Now and complete the regular application, check off non-degree, and pay the non-refundable application fee.

2. Non-degree status is not available for international students.

3. You may take up to three classes or 9 credits as a non-degree student.

4. Transcripts (official or unofficial) from your bachelor's degree are required.

5. Courses taken on a non-degree basis can later transfer toward a degree if they are current and relative to the degree sought. There is, however, no guarantee of admission to a graduate program for those who have successfully completed non-degree classes.

6. Graduate non-degree students who are not matriculated into a degree, certificate, or post masters program are not eligible for financial aid, or the unemployment tuition waiver. For details regarding financial assistance, please refer to the Financial Aid Office.

Please note: some programs do not allow non-degree students or may require special permission, based on availability of seats. Additionally, some programs that allow non-degree study may only allow students to take 3 to 6 non-degree credits before requiring matriculation. See specific program requirements.

Who should I contact if I have a question about the application process?

For admission-related questions, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at 973.720.3641/2237 or

For academic/curriculum-specific questions, please contact the graduate program directors or individual offices. You can find their information from the links on the Admission Deadlines and Requirements page.

Where should I send my supporting documentation? Do all documents need to arrive together?

Please send documents to:

William Paterson University
Office of Graduate Admissions 
300 Pompton Road
Morrison Hall 102
Wayne, NJ 07470

All of your documentation need not arrive all together in one packet; it may be sent individually.

*International students should send their financial and international documentation to the Center for International Education.

When will my file be reviewed?

After your application is complete it will be sent to the academic department for review. 

Can I change my application after it is submitted?

Applications may not be altered once they are submitted. Please click here and complete the form to submit changes or you may submit changes in writing to

If you need to change any personal information such as name, address, or phone number, please visit the Office of Student Enrollment Services.

How do I defer my application?

Students may defer their application for up to one full academic year from the initial application before a new application is needed. Updated supplemental documentation may be required. Programs with limited enrollments may be exceptions to this policy; these include, but are not limited to, the following programs: Doctor of Education in Education Leadership (EdD), Doctor of Psychology (PsyD), MS in Speech Language Pathology, Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), MA in Clinical and Counseling Psychology. Deferrals in these programs may be allowed at the discretion of the program coordinator.

How do I obtain my Student ID (855) number?

Please click here and complete the form to obtain your student ID number.

How do I check my status?

1. Go to Check My Status which can also be found on the Graduate Admissions homepage.

2. The log-in ID is your Student ID (855) number; to obtain your ID click here.

3. The Pin Number is your six-digit date of birth (MMDDYY).

4. Click on either “Application in Progress” or “Submitted Applications.”

What is William Paterson University's School Code for Graduate Entrance exams (GRE, GMAT, TOEFL)?

Our school code is: 2518

The GRE school code for the Communication Sciences and Disorders Centralized Application Services (CSDCAS) application is 3643. This is for those who are applying for the Speech Language Pathology program ONLY.

The GRE school code for the Clinical Psychology (PsyD) & Clinical and Counseling Psychology (MA) PSYCAS application is 4220. This is for those who are applying through PSYCAS only. 

How long do I have to finish my program?

A master's degree, certificate, or post-masters program must be completed within a period of six years from the time the student matriculates. The maximum time to complete a program includes time spent during leaves of absence, withdrawals, thesis, and comprehensive examination.

Where can I find course offerings and schedules?

1. Go to the Courses & Registration tab of the Current Students page.

2. Select Class Schedules.

How do I pay my tuition bill?

All bills are sent electronically to your William Paterson University email address. For billing inquiries, contact the Office of Student Enrollment Services. Please be sure to check your inbox frequently as all official school information will be sent to only that address.

What is a graduate assistantship?

A graduate assistantship is an academic award that carries a $6,000 stipend and a waiver of tuition and fees for the extent of the appointment. Graduate assistants are students who are matriculated and enrolled full-time in a graduate program. Graduate assistants work on campus a total of twenty hours per week.

In order to be eligible for a graduate assistantship, you must (1) be accepted into, or enrolled in, a William Paterson graduate program (i.e. teaching certification, endorsement, or master's degree); (2) have completed and filed a graduate assistantship application by April 1; (3) have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0; (4) submit a minimum of two letters of recommendation from former supervisors; (5) provide a copy of your resume; and (6) provide a statement about your career goals.

You must complete the graduate admission application for a graduate degree program. Also, you must complete the graduate assistantship application. Click here for more information on the Graduate Assistantship.

Is housing available for graduate students?

Graduate student housing is available; please contact the Office of Residence Life at 973.720.2714 for specific rates and information.