- March 13 (Thursday),
5 pm - 9 pm
- March 14 (Friday),
5 pm - 9 pm
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 1: Introduction to the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) program (4 hours)
by Drs. An & Park
- Travel advisory (documentation, visa* and passport information, medical tips, immunization and insurance, travel safety, and itemized requirements).*Not required for US citizens to enter South Korea.
- Goals and outcomes of the GPA
- Introduction to South Korea(Introduction; IT; Educational Technology Education; History)
- Introduction to course content (topics, field visits, host organizations, teaching methods, course expectations, room and board arrangements, traveling in country, review of the daily itinerary).
- Pre-trip survey
- Pre “My Cultural Awareness Profile” survey
- Language background survey
- Self-Assessment of Korean Language Proficiency
- April 11 (Friday), 5 pm - 9 pm
- April 12 (Saturday),
9 am - 1 pm
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 2: Language Learning Seminar (4 hours)
- Budget overview (Dr. Hong)
- Contemporary Film ("Hangeul becomes an art") and discussion on second language learning
- Introduction to Korean 101 (Overview of the language)
- Learning the Korean alphabet (Dr. An)
- Basic Korean sentences (Dr. Park)
- Course readings and information package distributed
May, 16 2014
5 - 7 pm;
7 - 9 pm (restaurant)
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 3: Intercultural Learning Seminar (4 hours)
- Hands-on workshop pertaining to Korean Art (by Dr. Laura Fattal: Art education, at the College of Education, WPU)
- Short cultural trip to Korean communities and neighborhoods in New Jersey.
- Dinner at the Korean restaurant (Poonglim)
- Address: 2053 Lemoine Ave Fort Lee, NJ 07024
June, 11 2014
5 pm - 9 pm
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 4: Outcomes and Deliverables (4 hours)
- A PBS video clip on South Korea's 'Education Fever' followed by guided discussions on cross-cultural educational themes.
- Discussion of post-trip outcomes, guiding questions for resource materials and multimedia-based resources.
- Participants familiarizing themselves with using blogs and YouTube channel for electronic journals during the trip.
- Discussion of technology use (e.g. digital cameras, tablets, laptops, cell phones) during the trip.
- Travel advisory reminder and travel arrangements finalized.
- Buddy-pairs determined for the overseas trip.
- Safety issues and evacuation plans discussed.
- Travel checklist distributed.
- Preparation for departure and determination of emergency contacts.