- March 13 (Thursday),
5 pm - 8 pm
- March 14 (Friday),
5 pm - 8 pm
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 1: Introduction to the Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) program (4 hours)
- Travel advisory (documentation, visa* and passport information, medical tips, immunization and insurance, travel safety, and itemized requirements).*Not required for US citizens to enter South Korea.
- Introduction to South Korea (short film followed by group discussion).
- Introduction to course content (topics, field visits, host organizations, teaching methods, course expectations, room and board arrangements, traveling in country, review of the daily itinerary).
- Course readings posted on website.
- Pre-trip survey protocols.
- Pre “My Cultural Awareness Profile” survey
- Language background survey
- Self-Assessment of Korean Language Proficiency, Pre-Survey
- April 11 (Friday), 5 pm - 8 pm
- April 12 (Saturday),
9 am - 12 pm
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 2: Language Learning Seminar (4 hours)
- Introduction to Korean 101 (overview of the language and language learning plans during travel).
- Film on Hangul (Korean language) and discussion on second language learning.
- Learning the Korean alphabet.
- Course readings and information package distributed
Pre-departure orientation, Workshop 4: Outcomes and Deliverables (4 hours)
- Discussion of post-trip outcomes, guiding questions for resource materials and multimedia-based resources.
- Participants familiarizing themselves with using blogs and YouTube channel for electronic journals during the trip.
- Discussion of technology use (e.g. digital cameras, tablets, laptops, cell phones) during the trip.
- Travel advisory reminder and travel arrangements finalized.
- Buddy-pairs determined for the overseas trip.
- Safety issues and evacuation plans discussed.
- Travel checklist distributed.
- Preparation for departure and determination of emergency contacts.