Applying for Housing

All admitted students may apply for University housing.  University housing is available for students who are enrolled full-time in a degree program on the Main Campus. WP Online students are not eligible to participate in on-campus housing.

Accessing the Housing Application

To enter into a Housing Contract, students must complete the housing application located in the MyResCenter portal on WPConnect; under the Students tab in the Campus Life section.  Within the portal, students may follow the step-by-step links in the left-side menu to apply for housing. Once completed, the Department of Residence Life will review your application and, if accepted, will enter you into a Housing Contract.

Click here to review the Terms and Conditions of the Residence Hall Contract

If you are having difficulties accessing the MyResCenter portal, please email us at

Submitting your Housing Application Deposit

A non-refundable deposit is required for application acceptance. You can pay the deposit by credit card or e-check by going to and choose Housing Sec Dep for the term (Fall/Spring/Summer) you are looking to live on campus.

Click here to pay your housing deposit

If you are unable to pay your deposit online, you may mail a check or money order, payable to William Paterson University, directly to 

Department of Residence Life
c/o William Paterson University
300 Pompton Road
Wayne, NJ 07470

If you have any questions regarding the payment of your Housing Application Deposit, please contact the Office of Student Accounts.

Housing Assignments and Student Preferences

Residence Life has a variety of housing options to enhance academic success, personal growth, and to provide an environment conducive to this learning.

New Student Housing: Any student who has joined the William Paterson University community within the past semester or is a First-Year university student with less than two semesters of university enrollment is considered a New Student.
New Students are assigned to New Student Housing areas and are provided specific enrichment and support opportunities to foster connection and engagement with the William Paterson community.
Requests for New Students to live outside of New Student Housing must be submitted through the MyResCenter portal and will be reviewed by the department.

Continuing Students may choose to live in traditional suite style housing, in more independent living options including Single Occupancy or Apartment-style housing, or within our Special Interest Communities such as Gender Inclusive Housing, Honors, and more!

Students may submit housing preference information through the MyResCenter portal.  All requests must be made through the portal; requests made any other way cannot be honored or processed.


RoomSync is a third-party roommate matching service that allows students to search for potential roommates using profile information.  Students can sign-up and create a profile to receive roommate recommendations, search through other student profiles, or connect with potential roommates through chat features or other social media accounts. 

RoomSync is available for student during particular times of the year.  Check the Important Dates and Information page to see if RoomSync is open and available.

Housing Assignment Timeline

Outlined below is the approximate timeline leading up to the start of each semester.  All of the timeframes below are approximate. Additional details, including relevant dates, can be found on the Residence Life Important Dates and Information page and within ResCenter.

Weeks before the
start of the semester



Students Applied/Accepted to University Housing will be notified if they are guaranteed to receive an assignment letter for the upcoming semester.


Housing Preference and Roommate/Suitemate Requests close for review and consideration


Housing Assignment and Roommate/Suitemate contact information is visible in ResCenter


Move-in Date, Time, and Location information published

Applications submitted during the semester are accepted on a rolling basis and housing assignments are made based on inventory availability and vacancies. Students will be communicated to via e-mail by Residence Life staff regarding assignment and move-in.

If you have any questions about the timeline or details leading up to move-in, please e-mail us at

Housing Accommodations

The Office of Residence Life in close partnership with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) is here to support students and their accommodation needs regarding living on campus.  Students who are seeking accommodation or are looking to present a need for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) are asked to work directly with the ARC staff regarding specific accommodation needs.   Please visit the ARC website and click on requesting and receiving accommodations to begin the process.

Once approved, Residence Life will work with students regarding their housing assignment.  

If you have any questions about housing accommodations, please contact the Accessibility Resource Center.