New to Teaching at WPU?

If you are new to teaching at WPU, here is some basic information to help you get started.

 Grading and Teaching

University Grading System

A, A- Excellent

B+, B, B- Good

C+, C, C- Satisfactory

D+, D Minimally passing

F Failing

P Passed course, taken on a pass/fail basis

IN Incomplete

N Unacceptable, must repeat (College Writing, First Year Foundation and Language 1100)

M Missing, no grade submitted

WD Withdrawn officially

AU Audit

Incomplete Grade

Work relating to grades of Incomplete (IN) must be completed and grades submitted by the end of the fourth week of classes in the semester subsequent to the semester in which the grade was issued. Grades of Incomplete (IN) may be assigned only when the student has successfully completed most of the work required for a course but due to extraordinary circumstances is unable to submit a portion of course work or completed final project (paper, exam, or other work) by the end of the semester. Under no circumstances should an Incomplete (IN) be assigned when, through negligence or with no acceptable excuse, a student fails to take an examination or to submit required work on time. Grades of Incomplete (IN) may be assigned only with an agreement of mutual understanding between the faculty member and the student.

Class Roster, Enrollment Verification, Starfish application, and Grade Reporting

Information on your assigned classes is found under the “Faculty & Advisors” tab of WP Connect. The Faculty & Advisors tab also include a list of menus for advising students.

The registrar asks faculty to submit Enrollment Verification for all students about 2 weeks into each semester. The link is available on Faculty & Advisor tab.

The university use an application called “Starfish Student Success” to flag an early alert for academically struggling students and students with frequent absences and missing assignments; you can designate people you would like to share the flag with the students’ advisors and other relevant personnel in the university (such as tutoring and counseling). The link is found under Early Alert menu of the Faculty & Advisor tab.

Final Grade submission link is available on the Faculty & Advisor tab and is activated toward the end of each semester. Grades are generally due one week after the final exam date, but the specific deadlines are normally published by email by the registrar each semester. If grades are not submitted on time, an “M” grade appears on the student’s transcript. If you need to change grades after the grade due date, use “Grade Change: Faculty” menu on WP Connect.

Classrooms and Room Reservations

Classrooms are assigned by the Registrar’s Office. Most traditional classrooms in the university have media consoles which include a computer, a video player, a Hover Cam (for Hyflex classes), and a projector. However, it is usually a good idea to visit your classrooms before the first class to check the size of the room and the equipment in the room. If there is a problem with your assigned classroom, your department chair can help you communicate that to the Registrar.   

 Final Exam Schedule

The final exam schedule is posted on the Registrar’s website each semester.

 Media Service

Do you need video or other equipment for your class? Contact Media Service located in the Cheng Library.

 Blackboard and Technology Help

For general help with technological problems, you can file an electronic ticket for an assistance by Helpdesk. To file a ticket, go to  and follow the menu. Someone will follow up by email within the day or two.

 Instruction and Research Technology (IRT) office and Center for Teaching and Learning with Technology (CTLT) provide regular workshops and resources to integrate technology into teaching. The IRT website has built extensive resources during Summer 2020 to assist faculty with online, hybrid, and hyflex teaching. Please visit:

 Working with Students with Disabilities

For information on accommodations for students with disabilities, see the Accessibility Resource Center website:

 Questions about Students in Distress or Students of Concern

If you find a student who shows signs of distress or unusual behaviors which make you be concerned, you can consult your department chair, or contact Students of Concern committee. The representatives are the following:

 Main Contact Point: Assistant Dean of Students x2450

     College of Arts and Communication: Associate Dean x3636

     Christos M. Cotsakos College of Business: Operations Coordinator x2847

     College of Education: Associate Dean x2577

     College of Humanities and Social Science: Assistant to the Dean x3260

     College of Science and Health: Associate Dean x3415

 Faculty Handbook and Other Faculty Support Information

Office of Sponsored Programs (For IRB Reviews and Grant Writing Support)

 Conference Travel Requests 

Faculty wishing to travel for conferences should file the Travel Request Form before making the travel. Submit the form with the print out of the conference program pages to the department. After the trip is complete, fill out the voucher form for reimbursement along with the receipts, and submit it to the department. Faculty Travel request form is available under the “Finance” menu located in the far left side panel on WP Connect main page. Reimbursement request form is also available under the same link. More on travel policies:

Academic and Institutional Support Services

See the Undergraduate Catalog for a list of various support services for faculty and students.

WPU University Fact Book

Statistical information about WPU and students published by the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.

 Faculty Handbook

For more on policies, procedures, and services for faculty, see the WPU Faculty Handbook: