How to Apply

Applications must be sent to the Office of Graduate Admissions, William Paterson University, Raubinger Hall, Room 139, 300 Pompton Rd., Wayne, NJ 07470. Contact them for information about application forms, graduate assistantship applications and the application process on line or Ms. Tinu Adeniran at (973) 720-2764. There are two ways in which application may be made to the program.

  • Application for matriculation into the program (intention to pursue a degree) requires the following supporting documentation:

    • Proof of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university (official undergraduate transcript).
    • A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 (out of 4.0).
    • Satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Exam. While we consider the candidate's entire application record, we prefer a minimum score of 475 on the verbal section of the GRE or a minimum of 399 on the Miller Analogies Test. The Graduate Record Exam is given year-round in the U.S., Canada and at many sites abroad. To find out more about the exam, the location of test centers and to register for it, go to:
    • A sample of the applicant's writing, preferably a graded paper or one that has been written in pursuit of one's professional work.
    • Two letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the student's academic and/or professional record.

    We welcome students from any disciplinary background.  However, we may recommend that students lacking any background in Political Science do some preliminary reading in the field before beginning the program. The Graduate Director can supply a list of recommended texts.

  • Application as a non-matriculated student. Students not interested in pursuing a degree, those whose previous records do not qualify them for matriculation or older students whose records are outdated may choose this route. Students who start the program as a non-matriculated student and maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA may reapply for matriculation after taking three courses (9 credits) in the program. The credits earned as a non-matriculated student will be applied to the degree.

[Go to Top]
Foreign Students

Foreign students face an additional set of application requirements. Instructions for international students applying for graduate programs can be obtained by clicking here or by calling the Director of International Students at: 973-720-2976. International students are not eligible for federal and state financial assistance at William Paterson University. However, students possessing F-1 or J-1 visas may work part-time on campus through the University's own student employment program. Students may work up to twenty hours a week when classes are in session and forty hours a week during breaks.

Financial Aid

Graduate Students are eligible to apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program and the regular student employment program. A limited number of graduate assistantships are available to qualified students. A graduate assistantship is an academic award that carries a $6,000 stipend and a waiver of tuition and fees for the extent of the appointment. Graduate assistants are students who are matriculated and enrolled full-time in a graduate program. Graduate assistants work on campus a total of 20 hours per week. Candidates seeking to apply for graduate assistantships must fill out an application form that can be obtained from the Office of Graduate Admissions. Since graduate assistantships are competitive, those wishing to apply should do so as early as possible, preferably by April 1st and no later than May 1 of the year preceding the start of fall classes. For more information on loans, contact the Financial Aid Office at 973-720-2202. For further information about graduate assistantships, visit the Office of Graduate Admissions' website.

On Campus Housing

Some housing for single students is available on campus. Students interested in on-campus housing must contact the Office of Residence Life.

For Further Information

For specific information on the M.A. in Public Policy and International Affairs, contact:

Dr. Michael Thompson, Graduate Director, Department of Politics, Legal Studies and Urban Science at 973.720.3874 or via e-mail at