Cost and Services

Billing Information

CHWC has partnered with Medical Healthcare Solutions, Inc., a Third Party Billing Company, to accept health insurance and to bill for medical services beginning in 2017-2018 academic year.  Students will need to submit insurance information for medical services or otherwise will be billed at a self-pay rate for services. CHWC will not “balance bill” for what insurance has not covered.  The CHWC will be collecting co-payments for health visits which are established by the individual’s health insurance carrier.  For students that are non-insured, we highly recommend that you visit to assist with obtaining health insurance. Please note that students will never be turned away for lack of insurance or inability to pay.  CHWC will not be billing for appointments with our mental health counselors.

All bills will be sent to the students’ WPUNJ email account.  CHWC will not be billing for Counseling Visits, HIV testing, Health Education and most medications.   

For questions regarding your insurance claims, please contact Medical Healthcare Solutions, Inc. at 800-762-9800.  MHS will not bill for laboratory services.  The laboratory companies will be billing directly to the insurance.

If you have further questions about our billing procedures, please contact Malenia Santiago at  or 973-720-2848.

Insurance Plans in which Counseling, Health and Wellness Medical Providers are participating:

NJ Medicaid


Coventry/First Health

Amerihealth NJ



Cigna Behavioral Health

Emblem Health

Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield & Omnia


United Health Care and Oxford

Americhoice ( UHC Community Plan/ Medicaid MCO)

Horizon Healthcare Services ( Medicaid)


Tricare North

Tricare East


All other insurance carriers will be billed out of network.

FAQs on Insurance and Self-Pay Billing

Can I still be seen at CHWC if I don’t have insurance or if my insurance is not one of the participating carriers? 

Students seeking services will never be turned away.  If you do not have insurance, you will be sent a bill at a discounted self-pay rate via your William Paterson University email address.  If you have insurance that is not one of our participating carriers, Medical Healthcare Solutions (MHS) will bill out of network for services or will attempt to obtain payment from your insurance if your visit was determined to be an emergency.

What services are not covered?

Immunizations, TB screening, pregnancy testing, oral contraceptives and emergency contraception.

Will I be charged for counseling appointments?

CHWC does not charge or bill insurance for counseling nor psychiatry appointments.  

How do I pay for uncovered or self-pay expenses including co-payments? 

You may pay by cash, check, Pioneer Card or credit card in person during your visit to CHWC.  

Do you offer X-ray services at CHWC?

No, CHWC does not offer X-ray services.  If you feel you require an X-ray, you would need to have a medical visit with one of our providers in our department and they will refer you to an outside radiological facility. You will need to submit your health insurance information to all outside medical facilities.

If I need blood tests, how do I pay for them?

CHWC contracts with several lab services to analyze our laboratory specimens.  The laboratory used will depend on your insurance.  If you do not have insurance, we can offer lab services at a discounted rates through one of our providers.  You will be made aware of those costs during your visit.  All of the laboratories will bill to your insurance directly.

I would to like to seek services at CHWC but I have an HMO plan and have a different designated Primary Care Provider (PCP).  Can I still be seen here?

You can call your insurance company to inform them that you want to seek services with us while you are in college.  You can request a Guest PCP for CHWC. 

I am concerned about confidentiality and don’t want information about my medical status sent to my parents.

CHWC is always concerned about confidentiality.  All bills that are generated from your visit with us will be sent to your William Paterson University email address.  Your insurance company will produce an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) that will be sent home to the address on file with the company.  Most insurance companies do not put specific diagnosis or treatments on the EOB.  However, if you do not want the EOB to go to your home address, you may call your insurance company and request that the EOBs be sent to another address. 

The University requires me to obtain my sports physical at CHWC.  Do I still have to pay?

If your insurance carrier does not cover your sports physical visit, CHWC will not bill you for any outstanding balance. There will be no charge for the sports physical for non-insured students.