NJ State Aid for Dreamers

The New Jersey Alternative Financial Aid Application allows undocumented students enrolled in eligible New Jersey colleges and universities to apply for state financial aid.

Who should complete this application?

Complete this application if you are not a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen and meet all of the following criteria:

  • Attended a New Jersey high school for at least three (3) years
  • Graduated from a New Jersey high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in New Jersey
  • Registered for Selective Service (male students only)
  • Are able to file an affidavit stating that you will file an application to legalize your immigration status or will file an application as soon as you are eligible to do so

To complete the application, you will need the following information:

  1. Student Driver’s License (if applicable)
  2. Income information from tax year 2020:
    • Student/Parents’ or Spouse’s federal income tax returns, W-2's, and other records of money earned
    • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
    • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)

Once HESAA receives your completed application, you will receive information and next steps through the email address you supplied on the application. HESAA will determine your eligibility for New Jersey state grants or request additional documentation. All of the colleges or universities you listed on the application will have access to view your award eligibility. 

Other required documents:

Students must have a signed affidavit on file indicating they have filed an application to legalize immigration status or will file an application as soon as eligible to do so. Click here for the Affidavit Statement NJ Dreamers

  • Student must submit an official high school transcript(s), including all courses and grades to date. If you have already graduated from high school, you must submit your final official high school transcript. 
  • Student must have attended high school in New Jersey for at least three (3) years.
  • Student graduated from a New Jersey high school or attained the equivalent to a high school diploma, issued by the State of New Jersey.
  • Males between the ages of 18 to 26 must register with Selective Service.  You can register online at www.sss.gov  Please print or email copy of confirmation of registration to our office. 

You can also contact HESAA Customer Care at 609-584-4480 for more information.