Housing Accommodations

Housing accommodations can help students with disabilities to live safely and independently on campus. If you are a student with a disability who needs housing accommodations, you must submit an accommodations request and register with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC). Students who want to request accommodations in their on campus living environment due to a disability need, must submit an accommodations request and register with the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) as part of the process for requesting accommodations in the residence halls and apartments managed by the Department of Residence Life.

How to make an on-campus housing accommodations request:

  1. The student must have applied and have been already accepted to William Paterson University.
  2. The student must fill out the Housing Accommodation Request Form. This form must be filled out each academic year.
  3. The student should submit their application for on-campus housing through the Department of Residence Life.
  4. If a student makes an accommodation request directly to the Department of Residence Life based on disability need, they will be referred to the Accessibility Resource Center (ARC) to submit an Application for Accommodations and complete the Accommodations Request Process.
  5. The student should provide the Physician or Disability Evaluator Verification form that supports the need for the requested housing accommodation(s) to the Accessibility Resource Center.
  6. ARC staff will review the documentation and an accommodations meeting will be scheduled with an Accessibility Specialist.
  7. The Accessibility Specialist with gather detailed information from the student related to their housing needs and if the documentation supports the requested need, an email will be sent to Residence Life and the student notifying them of the approved request.
    • If the housing request is not supported by the documentation, the Accessibility Specialist will contact the student to notify them of the decision or to request additional documentation.
  8. Once the accommodation approval is reviewed by the Department of Residence Life, the Res-Life staff will notify the student of their placement or may contact the student to gather more information and discuss their options.

Types of Accommodations:

Examples of housing accommodations requests that can be made include, but may not be limited to:

  • Wheelchair Accessible Room: The room is on an accessible floor (ground floor or accessible by elevator) and the furniture is moveable. Additional features may include a door with an automatic door opener, or a roll-in shower.
  • Wheelchair Accessible Toilet/Sink: A sink that a wheelchair can fit under with minimum cabinet space underneath for knee clearance.
  • Remote Control Access: A door used for human passage that is equipped with a power-operated mechanism and controls, that helps to open the door automatically or relieves the opening resistance of a door upon receiving a signal.
  • Private Bedroom: A bedroom that is not shared between roommates.
  • Private Bathroom: A bathroom that is not shared between roommates. This accommodation may be sought by someone that has chronic illness such as Crohn’s disease but is not limited to this. Very limited availability.
  • Semi-Private Bathroom: A bathroom that is shared between two people. This bathroom is enclosed within the living space itself.
  • Roll-in Shower (no lip): Have no barriers and a wheelchair could easily roll into it. Very limited availability.
  • Strobe Light Fire Alarm: A flash lamp that produces high-intensity short-duration light pulses; may be used to aid students with hearing impairments during emergency situations. Very limited availability.
  • Braille Signage: A system of writing and printing for blind or visually impaired people, in which varied arrangements of raised dots representing letters and numerals are identified by touch.
  • First Floor Room or Elevator Access: Room that does not require the use of stairs.
    Note: the majority of residence halls have elevators.
  • Service Animal: Service animal means any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing to people or sounds, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items. Please review our FAQ on Assistance Animals.
  • Emotional Support Animal (ESA): An ESA is an animal that provides emotional support that alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability. For more information, please review our FAQ on Assistance Animals.

Housing accommodations are handled on a first come, first served basis. Once on campus housing assignments have been assigned, there may be limited (or no) options left for on-campus housing that will meet accommodation needs. Spring and summer availability, are also usually limited.