Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Accessibility Resource Center located?

The Accessibility Resource Center is located in Speert Hall 134 (formerly Wayne Hall). If driving, enter campus through Entry 4 off of Pompton Road and park in Lot 5 parking lot (if you are new to campus) adjacent to the Lorraine and David Cheng Library. Speert Hall is located directly across from the Library building. (**If you are consulting a campus map, Speert Hall (formerly Wayne Hall) is marked with 16.) Enter Speert Hall (located near the bus stop) from the main doors on the front of the building. The Accessibility Resource Center is located adjacent to Wayne Dining Hall, behind the lounge (with the Red Wall).

How can I contact the Accessibility Resource Center?

The Accessibility Resource Center can be contacted via phone at 973-720-2853 or via email at

Should I identify myself as a student with a disability to Admissions?

William Paterson University values diversity and seeks to promote access to educational opportunities for all students. Admission is based upon requirements established by the Admissions Office in accordance with University policy.  Disability is not considered when an admissions decision is made.  Applicants with disabilities are welcome to discuss their concerns they may have about the impact of their disability on admission to the University.  Questions or concerns should be directed to the Office of Admission and/or the Accessibility Resource Center.  

A prospective student with a disability is not obligated to self-identify prior to admission to the University. Upon acceptance, incoming students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to contact the Accessibility Resource Center as soon as possible. Since many accommodations require advanced planning, early identification of a student's needs helps to ensure that arrangements and accommodations can be made in a timely manner.

Do students with disabilities fill out a different admissions application?

No. Students with disabilities follow the standard admissions process.

Confidentiality - Who has access to disability related information? How are faculty informed?

Once a student has been deemed eligible for our services and is in need of classroom accomodations an "Accomodation Letter" will be drafted which lists classroom accommodations the student is eligible to receive. The letter will be sent to the student through their WP e-mail at the beginning of the Fall semester or as soon as eligibility has been determined, if requesting accommodations after the semester has begun. The "Accommodation Letter" is provided for the entire Academic Year (September through August). It is the responsibility of the student to present this letter to their professors. It is suggested that you meet with your professors to discuss any specifics in regards to your coursework.         

What kind of services and accommodations does the Accessibility Resource Center provide?

All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. However, typical accommodations may include...

  • Extended Test Time
  • Reduced Distraction Environment
  • Note Taking Services
  • Adaptive Technology
  • Classroom Relocation

What kind of documentation is needed to receive accommodations?

The type of documentation needed depends on your disability. Please see the documentation guideline links for physical impairments, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, and psychological/psychiatric disabilities, below.

Guidelines: Physical     Guidelines: ADHD      Guidelines: Post Secondary Level Education

                                  Guidelines: Psychological/Psychiatric

How can I be tested for a learning disability?

If your documentation is incomplete or outdated, you can visit the Accessibility Resource Center to inquire about different options for getting tested. 

Is ADHD considered a disability?

Yes. You can receive accommodations for ADHD if you you deemed eligible for services after providing ARC with the completed Accommodation Request Form and the disability documentation.

Do I have to pay for services provided by the Accessibility Resource Center?

No. All services, including note takers, are provided to students free of charge. However, if students require additional testing to properly document their disabilities, the student is responsible for any testing costs. 

Do I need to get a new accommodation letter each semester?

No. Accommodation letters are emailed from the Accessibility Resource Center at the beginning of the Fall semester and the letter is for the entire academic year (September thru August). A new accommodation letter will be emailed to you at the beginning of the following Fall semester.

How early do I need to let the Accessibility Resource Center know about an exam that I need proctored?

ARC needs to know about your exam at least seven (7) calendar days in advance. You will need to complete the "Request for Test Proctor" form online for each and every test/exam. The earlier you schedule the exam, the more time that our office has in making sure that we have your exam and the location set up for you when you complete the examination. Requests that are not submitted with the seven days notice may not be able to be accommodated.

What should I do if I don't feel like my accommodations are helping me?

Contact the Accessibility Resource Center. The earlier in the semester you contact us, the more we will be able to help you adjust your accommodations and/or discuss strategies that may assist you.

Is it important that I check my William Paterson email account?

Yes. The Accessibility Resource Center, along with many other offices on campus, use your University email address to send you important information. You should make it a point to check your WPU email dailly.

What is the most important thing I can do to help myself achieve academic success?

It is important that you stay in constant communication with our office. The more we know about your difficulties, issues, and concerns, the better we will be able to assist you.