Federal Programs

Whether you're enrolling in college for the first time or returning to school after a period of time off, you should apply for federal student aid.

Federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education is the largest source of aid in America, providing over $150 billion in grants, work-study, and federal loans for students attending four-year colleges or universities. 

Borrowed Federal Aid

Federal Direct Loans (also called Stafford Loansare the department's major form of self-help aid. Loans are borrowed money that must be repaid with interest, so you should borrow only what you need. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a degree granting program and must maintain basic eligibility criteria.

  • Subsidized Loans are available to undergraduate students with financial need. Interest is not charged while you are in school at least half-time, during your grace period, or during deferment periods.
  • Unsubsidized Loans are available to undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Interest is charged during all periods, including while you are in school and during grace and deferment periods.
  • Parent PLUS Loans are loans borrowed by parents of undergraduate students.
  • Graduate PLUS Loans are loans borrowed by graduate or professional students.
Federal Grants

Grants are awards which do not need to be paid back.

  • Federal Pell Grants are available to undergraduate students. The award amount is calculated based on Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • Federal Supplemental Education Grants (FSEOG) are available to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need.
  • TEACH Grants are awarded to students who agree to serve as a highly qualified full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.
Federal Work Study

The Federal Work Study program provides part-time job opportunities for students to assist with paying for education expenses.

Additional Links