Department of Biology
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Professional Program
The Postbaccalaureate Premedical Preprofessional Program at William Paterson University is intended for college graduates who wish to pursue a medical education but have not taken any or all of the science courses required for admission to medical or other professional schools. The program prepares students interested in pursuing careers in medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy, osteopathic medicine, physical therapy, and other health care professions. Much of the course work required for admission to these professional programs is the same.
The Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program has two options:
1) an intensive full-time program which can be completed in 16 months (see below)
The prerequisites for this program are college algebra and precalculus or the equivalent. A student with sufficient preparation who begins the program in the Summer I term can expect to be ready to apply to medical school in 16 months. The year after application, before entry into medical/professional school, provides students with the opportunity to take additional coursework or to deepen their exposure to medicine through internships or full-time employment.
2) a flexible program of part and full-time study which can be started while continuing to work a full-time job, or doing internships, shadowing, or research. This can culminate in a BS in Biology if desired.
Applying is easy. You will be applying as an undergraduate second degree student (that way you don’t have to pay graduate tuition). Go to the admission's website (http://www.wpunj.edu/applynow/), follow the instructions, and fill out the undergraduate application, stating Biology as a major, even if you don’t plan on finishing your degree.
For further information please contact :
Dr. Carey Waldburger, Department of Biology, William Paterson University, Tel: 973-720-2486; email: email@example.com
Dr. Claire Leonard, Department of Biology, William Paterson University, Tel: 973-720-2791 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- extensive individual advising
- course selection advice
- application services
- maintenance of a pre-professional file, including letters of recommendation
- preparation of a composite letter of evaluation
- sending letters of recommendation and packets to professional schools
- seminars by health professionals
- medical volunteer & shadowing information and guidance
- MCAT and other examination advice
- professional school selection advice
- resume preparation assistance
- essay-writing assistance
- faculty mentoring
- mock admission interviews
Dr. Waldburger will be your academic advisor. Dr. Leonard will meet with you at least once each semester to review your academic progress and to discuss your course of study at William Paterson University.
Much or the coursework required for admittance into medically related professional schools is similar. A typical pre-medical curriculum includes the following:
- 2 semesters General Biology with lab (8 credits)
- 2 semesters General Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)
- 2 semesters Organic Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)
- 2 semesters Physics with lab (8 credits)
- 2 semesters math beyond precalculcus, including at least one semester of Calculus (8credits)
We offer to qualified students (students who have had College Algebra and Precalculus) an intense 16 month program with the following schedule of courses:
- Summer I & II first year – Gen Chem I & II
- Fall (16 credits) – Organic Chem I, General Bio I, Physics I, Calculus I
- Spring (16 credits) Organic Chem II, General Bio II, Physics II, Calculus II or Statistics
- Second Summer – Internships, shadowing programs, and studying for and taking the MCATs
- Pre-Pharmacy Program - Pharmacy school requirements differ significantly, but the following link has admission requirements and other information about many programs. http://www.wpunj.edu/studentaccounts/index.dot