Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Can I apply for a position at William Paterson University online?

Currently, applications must be completed in the Office of Human Resources, located at 358 Hamburg Turnpike, College Hall, Room 150. Applications are accepted Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

How do I apply for a faculty or professional position?

Such positions are usually hired through a search process. Available positions can be viewed through our Employment Opportunities page on our website. Follow application instructions in the posting.

Will I be required to take a test to be hired?

The hiring procedures of our clerical, craft, technical, public safety, and administrative support staff are governed by the Civil Service Commission rules and regulations. The majority of these titles require some form of testing. However, there are a number of titles that are not subject to testing. In addition, the Office of Human Resources may conduct skills assessment in Microsoft Office Suite and/or typing speed.

Does the University conduct pre-employment screening?

New hires to the University in Career Service titles are subject to a background check and drug screening. In addition, certain positions may require a physical examination and/or degree verification.

Is there a cost to me for pre-employment screening?

At this time, the prospective employee bears no cost for the pre-employment screening process.

How do I get my University ID card?

University ID cards are issued by Hospitality Services in the University Commons, Machuga Student Center Room 100. Employees must bring a form of identification and an ID Authorization form completed by the Office of Human Resources to receive their WPU ID card. Authorization forms can be picked up in the Office of Human Resources, College Hall, Room 150, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

How do I get a parking permit?

To register a vehicle used by a student or a university employee, that person must apply for a decal online. To do so, a person must complete the online application and submit it.

Within a few days of the online registration, the parking decal will be sent to the registrant by the Violations Bureau’s unless other arrangements have been made. If there is a problem with the online registration, the Deputy Director of the Department of Public Safety should be contacted by telephone at (973) 720-3207.

Am I subject to a probationary period in my position?

Any Career Service title for which a regular appointment is made requires the successful completion of a four month (1 year for the Campus Police Recruit title) probationary period to be granted permanent status.

Appointments or promotions made on a Provisional basis are not subject to a probationary period until permanent status is achieved.

Professional staff not holding faculty rank or concurrent academic rank covered by the AFT contract must complete five years of probationary service.

What is an essential employee?

Employees serving in designated titles are considered essential when required to perform their duties when inclement weather or other adverse situation requires the curtailment of University operations. Designated titles are listed in the attached link.

What professional or career development opportunities are available to me as an employee?

In general, eligible full-time employees may apply for tuition waiver or reimbursement for courses taken at the University.  The Office of Human Resources offers workshops for supervisors and managers and non-supervisory staff which include an ongoing training program,  In addition, the Center for Continuing and Professional Education offers a variety of courses, many at no cost to employees.

 Full-time faculty members may be eligible for tuition reimbursement through the Career Development /Tuition Reimbursement Program in accordance with the AFT union contract.

 What is a salary step increase?

A salary step is an interval on the salary range. If warranted by performance a salary step increase is given on the employee anniversary date. Salaries associated with these ranges are negotiated and approved by the State and applicable Unions and are in effect for the duration of the current contract.

Please direct questions regarding FAQs or other inquiries to the Office of Human Resources at 973-720-2605 or email