International Students

International students are an essential part of the graduate student enrollment at William Paterson University. We look forward to assisting you as you prepare to begin your graduate studies.

Please Note: International applicants are advised to submit a complete application packet six weeks prior to posted deadlines.

In addition to the application materials, international applicants must also supply the following information to be considered for admission to graduate studies:

Testing Requirements

(The ETS institutional code for the William Paterson University is 2518. This code is used for both GRE and TOEFL exam reporting.)

  • GRE
    International applicants are required to take the GRE General test. PLEASE NOTE: Individuals applying for the MS in Biology or Biotechnology are required to take a GRE subject-specific test in Biology, Biochemistry, or Cell and Molecular Biology.
  • GMAT
    International students applying to the Masters in Business Administration (MBA) program are required to take the GMAT. For information about application requirements to the MBA program, please visit MBA Program page. (The GRE General test will be accepted in lieu of the GMAT test)
  • English Proficiency Examination Results
    Applicants whose native language is not English must arrange for official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination to be sent directly to the Graduate Admissions office. The TOEFL exam is administered by the Educational Testing Service. English proficiency examination results are also accepted from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

The Minimum TOEFL score required to be considered for admission is 80 on the IBT (internet based test), 550 on the PBT (paper based test) or 213 on the CBT (computer-based test). On the IELTS, a minimum overall band of 6.0 is required.

Proof of Finances

The U.S. government requires that all international applicants provide proof of ability to pay tuition and living expenses for themselves and their dependents (if applicable) before a formal letter of admission and an I-20 or DS2019 Certificate of Eligibility can be issued. In addition to financial documents, the Financial Data form itemizing all costs for one year along with a notarized affidavit of support from your sponsor(s) should also be submitted.

Transcript Evaluation

International students who attended schools outside of the United States must submit an evaluation of academic records. Transcripts must be reviewed by one of the NACES approved evaluation agencies for credential evaluation. Evaluations by other agencies or companies will not be accepted. Please request a course-by-course evaluation including a grade point average (GPA) and have an official copy sent directly to Graduate Admissions. Your transcripts will need to be translated into English before an evaluation can be processed.

*Note: A final evaluation transcript must show an awarded degree equivalent to a BA or higher.

Translating Official Transcripts

Transcripts that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Many schools will be able to accommodate your request to have your transcripts issued in English. If your school is unable to issue official transcripts in English, you have a few options:

  1. You may take your transcripts and diploma/proof of degree to the appropriate verifying institution (i.e. Educational Ministry) to have them translated and notarized. The institution can then send those documents directly to the Evaluation service in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If the institution will only release the verification to you, please request that they put it in a sealed envelope so that you can forward that envelope directly to the evaluation provider; DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the verification. The documents must be received in their original sealed envelope to be considered official.
  2. You can submit your transcripts to a translation service. The translation service can then send those documents directly to the evaluation provider in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If they send the translation to you, it must be forwarded to the evaluation service in its original sealed state. Again, DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the translation; the documents must be sealed to be considered official. You should also request that an official copy (in your native language) accompany the translation so they can compare the original to the translation.

Submitting Official Documents to the Graduate Admissions Office

To be considered "official" your transcripts must remain sealed as they were by the issuing university. If your university does not seal their transcripts as a standard procedure, please request that they place your transcripts in a sealed university envelope and stamp the outside flap with their school seal. Forward these documents directly to Graduate Admissions as-is; please do not open the envelope as this will void the transcripts.

In Progress Transcripts

If you have not completed your bachelor's degree (or master's degree if applicable) at the time you apply to William Paterson University, please request transcripts from your university showing the work you have completed to date. These are called IN PROGRESS transcripts and will be marked as No Degree Indicated. These documents are acceptable for admissions evaluating purposes and an admissions decision will be rendered.

Once you complete your degree, you will need to submit official transcripts showing that the degree has been granted/conferred/completed in the manners described above.

All required documentation should be mailed directly to:

William Paterson University
Office of Graduate Admissions and Enrollment Services
Morrison Hall 102
300 Pompton Road
Wayne, NJ 07470.

For further information regarding international student status please visit The Center for International Education: (973) 720-2976 or

Helpful links:

Upcoming Events

MS in Exercise and Sport Studies Open House

04/24/14 05:30 PM - 04/24/14 07:00 PM

Location: Science Hall Complex Room 2063

more info »

College of Education: Graduate Open House

05/29/14 05:00 PM - 05/29/14 07:00 PM

Location: Valley Road Cafe

more info »

MBA Open House

05/29/14 05:00 PM - 05/29/14 07:00 PM

Location: University Commons 171B

more info »

Will. Power.