Welcome to The Women's Center!
The Women’s Center Mission, Goals, and Vision
The Women’s Center of William Paterson University was founded in 1993 to bring visibility to issues affecting women on campus, coordinate and facilitate access to resources relevant to women's issues, promote the integration of women's issues into campus culture and discourse, and advocate for the removal of barriers that inhibit the full participation of women in the University community.
Guided by our commitment to gender equity, justice, access, and inclusivity, we serve all students, faculty and staff; provide a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment for all genders; encourage dialogue and diversity while supporting, educating and empowering; foster agency and self-determination; and champion balanced and fulfilled professional and personal lives.
The Women’s Center Mission
As part of the division of Student Development, the William Paterson University Women’s Center works to expand the understanding of women’s and gender issues, empower students to explore options in their lives, and motivate the campus community toward greater involvement in these issues as leaders, allies, and agents of change.
The Women’s Center Goals
Working collaboratively with on and off campus services, programs, and student organizations, the Women’s Center strives to:
- Support women’s equity and achievement towards intellectual, professional, and personal goals
- Participate in the formulation and review of campus policies, procedures, and programs relating to gender equity
- Facilitate and strengthen connections among people across lines of difference and enhance students’ lives through educational programs and experiential opportunities, addressing the diverse backgrounds and experiences of all people
- Connect students to existing campus and community resources and services
- Celebrate women whose lives, achievements, and contributions inspire, motivate and challenge
- Challenge gender-based oppression and violence through education, support, and advocacy
The Women's Center Vision
The Women’s Center’ envisions a university campus where individuals of all genders, sexual orientations, physical and mental abilities, ages, nationalities, socioeconomic status, religions, and racial and ethnic identities are respected and valued; where the community works collectively for diversity and inclusion and against inequity, injustice, and violence; and where all individuals feel safe, supported and empowered to pursue their intellectual, professional, and personal goals.
Revised June, 2013