How to Apply for Housing

Roommate Requests

Residence Life can accept roommate requests up through Friday, July 11th, 2014.

After this date, assignments are finalized by our office. Notification of hall assignments and roommates will be done around the 1st week in August.

Many of our new residents find roommates themselves, either through meeting at University sponsored events or the earlier Freshmen/Transfer Orientation programs. The roommate matching service we offer to all students also is a good place to make roommate connections.

RoomSync is a Facebook application that allows you to search for potential roommates by setting preferences for certain roommate matching criteria. You post a description of your perfect roommate and share more about who you are. RoomSync makes roommate suggestions, but you can also browse all members yourself. There are different groups for new freshmen and transfer students. Please be sure you join the right group to find the best roommate match.

RoomSync app for new students is open!

Our roommate matching service, RoomSync, also closes on Friday, July 11th, 2014.

For all new freshmen residents (Overlook South, High Mountain East), this is your link.   Passcode if needed: 120144

New transfer students are invited to join an upper-class resident group of RoomSync to browse potential roommates.  You can request current residents who have joined or other new transfer students. Your link is here.  Passcode if needed: 420144

If you choose not to be a part of the RoomSync service, here you can find the Roommate Questionnaire that you can forward to Residence Life, which may guide us in your housing placement.

Application Guidelines for On-Campus Housing

New freshmen students are assigned to a room with other freshmen students for the first year so that all residents can be in a community with their peer group. Freshmen cannot request to live with upper class residents until after their freshmen year.

There are currently no restrictions on housing requests for students who live within close proximity to the University.

Newly accepted students to the University, who will be registering full-time 12 credits, may submit a Residence Life Contract online. A non-refundable deposit of $150.00 is required to validate your housing contract. Payment of your deposit online is preferred. You can pay the deposit by credit card or e-check by going to and clicking on the 'deposits tab". Print the payment confirmation for your records. If you do not have the ability to pay your deposit online, you may mail a check or money order, payable to William Paterson University, directly to Residence Life, 300 Pompton Road, Wayne, NJ 07470.

Click here to request a Residence Life Contract >>

Residence Life has a preferred date of May 1st, for guaranteed housing. Applications for on-campus housing will continue to be accepted after the deadline until all vacancies are filled. Residence  Life will not guarantee assignment to a particular building after May 1st. Submission of the online contract alone does not secure your residence hall space unless the required $150 non-refundable housing deposit is also submitted. Students interested in on campus housing must initiate the contract process, and expressing an interest on the admissions application is not connected to the housing contract request.

Prior to move-in, and usually in the first week of August, all students are given contact information for their roommate so they can e-mail and begin planning the start of your college experience. If you want to to view suggestions on items to purchase you can click here for our document What to Pack for Your Room On Campus.

If you are having difficulties accessing the online housing contract, please email us at

Housing Accomodations for Disabled Students

The University has available living accommodations for students presenting with physical disabilities. All students, however, must be able to reside independently in these facilities; that is, be able to do their own dressing, self-care, cleaning, etc.

If you have any disabilities which we should be aware of when considering your application for on campus housing, please contact our Central Residence Life Office at 973-720-2714 and ask to speak with the Associate Director of Residence Life.

We will also ask that you identify yourself with the Office of Disability Services at William Paterson University. Residence Life works in conjunction with Disability Services in adhering to ADA guidelines. Their contact information is 973-720-2853 and the web site is