Information For Room Changes

Room Change Information

In Residence Life we understand that sometimes roommates do not get along the way that they may have hoped.  In the event of a situation such as this, Residence Life meets with the residents to either work out the relationship with their roommate, or begin the room change process.

Once our residents move into their buildings at the start of the semester, each pair is expected to meet with their RA during the first two weeks to go over their Roommate Agreement.  Roommates must discuss/complete the Roommate Agreement before a room change can be considered as an option. 

Residence Life requires that roommates attempt a mediation, with the completed Roommate Agreement as a starting point.Residents are asked to follow the steps below.

  1. First, the roommates need to talk amongst themselves to see if they can figure out a way to work around any issues they have and try to reach a compromise. Residence Life asks each resident to be respectful and responsible while living in the residence halls, and discussing problems with each other is a great way to take responsibility for their living environment.  If this step does not lead to success...
  2. Roommates will need to meet with their RA to discuss the issues/concerns between them.  The RA will revisit the Roommate Agreement with them to see if any changes need to be made to better suit the needs of the roommates.  If for some reason, agreements can not be reached between the roommates and the issues/concerns are still present... 
  3. Roommates will meet with their RD to revisit the issues if a compromise has not been met after meeting with the RA. At this point, the RD might assign the roommates something to work on to help their living situation, of if he/she deems necessary, suggest that a room change is the next step. If the RD decides that a room change is best...
  4. The resident interested in changing rooms will submit a Room Change Request form to the RD for approval. The signature of the roommate they are leaving behind is required on the form. If the resident is asking for a specific room/suite, the signatures from every person in the requested room/suite is required. If  no specific room is requested, the Resident Director can assign the space. Once the request is received by the resident's hall office...
  5. The RD of the building will search for availability of other assignments.  If an available space is located, the resident will be informed of their new assignment. If a new assignment is not available, the request is denied, and the resident would be advised to seek alternative room switches such as another resident exchanging assignments, and a new request can be considered. 

Our hope in Residence Life is that each resident in our communities will have a living arrangement that suits their needs, It is a departmental goal to provide an environment that gives our residents the best opportunity to enjoy their time in our residential communities  and remember their experiences long after they graduate from William Paterson University.

Conflict Resolution Services

The Office of the Associate Vice President for Campus Life provides the service of Conflict Resolution.

William Paterson University’s Office of Campus Life has developed a core group of trained conflict resolution facilitators to provide services should students seek impartial, third party assistance.

Some aspects of conflict resolution:     

  • Conflict resolution utilizes an array of strategies which may include mediation, facilitation, conflict system design, arbitration, adjudication, and/or negotiation.
  • Conflict resolution has its greatest affect when students agree to freely participate.  It involves a trained, impartial third party, agreeable to those in conflict and with the ability to help those who seek this service arrive at a resolution and/or workable agreement(s). 

Students seeking conflict resolution should be aware that it is not a quick fix.  It requires willingness to share concerns, flexibility to seek all options, and at times, creativity in arriving at workable solutions.  Conflict resolution can facilitate resolving roommate disagreements and other interpersonal situations where a neutral third party can be of assistance. 

You may reach the Director of Judicial Affairs, Jennifer Tumlin, in University Commons / Student Center Suite 117, at 973.720.2218, or at