General Policies and Procedures:
1. All users are expected to follow the policies and procedures of the William Paterson University Recreation Center. Use of the Recreation Center is a privilege and failure to follow these policies and procedures may result in administrative and/or disciplinary action, including cancellation of privileges.
2. Any unsportsmanlike conduct may result in immediate expulsion from the Recreation Center. This includes but is not limited to verbal and/or physical abuse of another individual and/or damage to the facility.
3. All participants must present a valid William Paterson University Student ID or a valid Rec Center Membership ID to utilize the facility. This includes all faculty, staff, alumni and family members regardless of age. No ID No Entry!
4. Memberships are available for a fee to all William Paterson University faculty, staff, alumni and family members residing in the same household. Primary members must be present and have a valid membership ID when signing up family members. Family members must provide proof of residency when signing up for a membership. All family members must have a membership or pay the $5.00 guest fee regardless of age. Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable. Participation in a certification program at William Paterson University does not qualify for membership. Members who have lost their ID must pay $10.00 for a new ID. There is a $5.00 daily fee for all non-member faculty, staff and alumni to utilize the Recreation Center.
5. Appropriate workout attire must be worn when using the facilities. Only non-marking sneakers are allowed in the arena and racquetball courts.
6. All workout areas close 15 minutes prior to the closing of the building.
7. No personal phone calls will be accepted.
8. There will be no requests taken for the radio, CD player, MP3 player or TVs.
9. All participants must use field side entrance to enter and exit the building.
10. Smoking is prohibited.
1. All Rec Center participants may sign in one guest, unless they are playing racquetball in which case they are allowed three guests. Participants must stay with their guests at all times.
2. When the participant/sponsor leaves the guest must leave at the same time. He/She may not sign in under another participant's name.
3. All guests must present a valid picture ID and pay a $5.00 guest fee. Children under 17 years are not required to have an ID but must be signed in and pay the $5.00 guest fee.
4. Guest fees apply to operating hours for the entire day they are paid. Guest fees are non-refundable .
5. Re-entry during operating hours is allowed. The guest must be able to present sufficient identification to re-enter with the same participant/sponsor.
6. Guests are not permitted to participate in Rec Center programs, Intramural programs, and/or Fitness Classes.
7. Anyone entering the Recreation Center to watch Intramural games must present a valid picture ID, be signed in as a guest and pay the $5.00 guest fee.
8. Any guest found guilty of damaging/stealing property or violating any policy may lose all privileges immediately. The participant/sponsor will also be held accountable for damages.
1. Each participant must have a towel while working out. Participants may bring a towel or rent one for $.25 and a picture ID at the Control Desk.
2. No gum, food or drink are allowed in the Weight Room or Fitness Rooms. Water, in water bottles only, is allowed in the Fitness Rooms.
3. No personal items (gym bags, backpacks, etc.) are allowed in the Weight Room Fitness Rooms (use cubby holes or lockers). William Paterson University will not be responsible for items left unattended.
4. Participants must return all plates and dumbbells to their proper place.
5. Participants must use equipment properly. Do not slam or drop the plate weights or dumbbells, ask for assistance.
6. Do not remove any equipment from the Weight/Fitness Rooms.
7. If you need assistance with any exercise or machine, see the Weight/Fitness Room attendant on duty.
8. Appropriate workout attire must be worn at all times (no boots, open-toed shoes or jeans). Clothing must cover all parts of the body that will come in contact with the benches or pads of equipment. Clothing must be worn over undergarments.
9. There is a 30 minute time limit on all machines in the Fitness Rooms when other participants are waiting.
10. Children 15 years and under are not permitted to use the Weight/Fitness Rooms.
11. Weights and bars should not be leaned against the walls, equipment or mirrors.
12. Failure to abide by these rules may result in immediate expulsion from the Recreation Center.
1. Court reservations may be made one day in advance by calling (973)720-2777 or by visiting the Recreation Center.
2. Only one reservation may be made per person per day. Reservations may be made for one hour for racquetball.
3. It is recommended that protective eyewear be worn at all times. Participation is at your own risk.
4. There is no charge for the racquetball court time.
5. Participants may request the volleyball net be set up only if there is an open court available. Other participants will not be asked to leave to accomodate volleyball.
Open Swim Policies
1. All participants must present a valid William Paterson University ID or a Rec Center Membership ID to enter the pool.
2. The lifeguards may close the pool, whenever such action is deemed necessary for the health and safety of our participants.
3. The lifeguards have the authority to prohibit any acts/actions in violation of pool rules.
4. Participants should not be in the pool or pool area without a lifeguard.
5. Each participant is allowed three guests. Each guest must sign in with the lifeguard and remain in the company of their sponsor at all times.
6. Participants must wear proper attire. No cutoffs and no street shoes allowed in the pool area.
7. Participants are responsible for all personal items. William Paterson University will not be responsible for items left unattended.
8. Participants must bring their own lock and towel.
9. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
10. No running permitted on the pool deck.
11. No food, drink or glass containers allowed in the pool area.
12. No radios allowed in the pool area.
13. Smoking is prohibited.
14. Swimming is prohibited when the lifeguard is off duty.
15. Diving is prohibited.
16. All participants must enter and exit the pool area through locker rooms only.
17. All participants must shower before entering the pool.
18. Failure to abide by these rules may result in immediate expulsion from the pool.