Greetings from the Financial Aid Office at William Paterson University!
An affordable education is our theme and we are here to provide you with the necessary information to locate and secure available funding. Just follow these simple instructions:
1. To apply for federal, state and institutional financial aid consideration, students must complete the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. In Step Five of the FAFSA, list Federal School Code 002625. If you do not have a Personal Identification Number (PIN), apply for one now at www.pin.ed.gov. You will need a PIN to electronically sign your FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, your parents must also apply for a PIN now, so that they can electronically sign your FAFSA. Please make sure to enter the student’s driver license number and state and a reliable e-mail address to accelerate the processing of your application. Assistance completing the FAFSA may be requested by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). If you are hearing impaired, please contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913 The Priority FAFSA filing deadline is April 1.
2. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal Student Aid Programs in the mail several weeks after you have applied. Review the SAR for accuracy. If you must correct your SAR, add William Paterson University as a school of choice, or would like to check the status of your FAFSA, you can do so online by using your PIN to access your processed FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. SAR copies can also be obtained by contacting the Federal Processor at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
3. If your application is selected for verification, you must complete the Federal Verification Worksheet available online at the Financial Aid Office website, attach copy of your and your spouse’s (if married) 2014 Tax Return Transcript. If you are a dependent student for financial aid purposes, you must attach a copy of your and your parents’ 2014 Tax Return Transcript. Submit these forms to the Financial Aid Office. To obtain the Tax Returns Transcript, please call the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800- 829-1040, or visit http://www.irs.govfor additional information. Completed documents may be faxed to 973-720-3133. All requested documentation must be submitted by June 1.
4. Once all your application materials are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office, you will be notified if additional information is needed, or you will receive a WPU Financial Aid Award Notification letter.
5. New Jersey residents will receive a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) from New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority(HESAA). This is a notification of your state aid eligibility (state grants and scholarships are restricted to full time undergraduate students). HESAA may send the student an Additional Information Request (AIR) documentation; please make sure to respond promptly to all AIRs. This award is not finalized until your file has been reviewed and approved by the Financial Aid Office. Be sure WPU is indicated on the SEN as the school you are attending or make the necessary correction. To electronically add WPU to your SEN access the following website: click here and follow the “Login” instructions (new users must register first). State aid eligibility is based on the appropriate enrollment, satisfactory academic progress, and matriculation in degree program. Visit HESAA’s website or call 1-800-792-8670 to obtain additional state aid information. HESAA has the following deadlines: June 1, if you received a Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) in 2014-2015. All other applications - October 1, for fall and spring terms; March 1, for spring term only.
Check your WPConnect continuously for updates and visit our website. to learn more about financial aid.
Much success in your future endeavors.
Office of Financial Aid