The David and Lorraine Cheng Library of the William Paterson University of New Jersey seeks to provide a safe, clean, learning environment conducive to study and activities in support of instruction, academic collaboration and scholarly research. In addition to observing University standards and policies, all users are expected to respect the rights and property of others and to treat library resources, facilities and collections with care and respect. Community users are welcome in the Cheng Library for the purpose of using Library resources and services.Appropriate Conduct by Patrons Required
- Patrons shall be primarily engaged in activities associated with the use of a university library while in the building. Although open to the public, library resources are primarily for the use of students, faculty and staff. Patrons engaged in activities that are inconsistent with the stated purpose of the Library and who are disruptive to other patrons or staff will be required to leave. In light of the overall demand on limited resources, during peak times priority will be given to those engaged in university activities and those engaged in casual use may be asked to relinquish the resources they are utilizing. All patrons are expected to follow the instructions of Library staff in regard to the use of the library. If necessary, Library staff will contact Campus Police and/ or the Dean of Students to enforce these guidelines.
- Patrons shall respect the rights of other patrons and help preserve a quiet environment suitable for study and research. Patrons shall not harass or annoy others through noisy or boisterous activities such as loud conversations, monologues or singing. Patrons shall refrain from disruptive activities including playing audio equipment so that others can hear it or by behaving in a manner which can reasonably be expected to disturb other persons.
- Patrons shall not interfere with the use of the Library by other patrons, or interfere with Library employees’ performance of their duties.
Personal safety is a priority and patrons are expected to wear appropriate clothes and shoes. Patrons whose body hygiene is so offensive as to constitute a nuisance to other persons shall be required to leave the building.Use of Specially Designated Areas of the Library
- The second floor of the Library has been designated a quiet floor and the second floor reading room in the front of the Library is an “Extra Quiet Study” space.
- Group study rooms are not soundproof and users are expected to be courteous of individuals in adjacent areas. Groups working together in the common area and in the Group Tech Center are expected to speak in normal conversational tones.
- Conversation conducted in a reasonable and normal volume is to be expected at the various service desks.
Cell phone conversations may take place in the outer lobby, the Friends Room, Group Study Rooms and in the first floor corridor near the elevator. Cell and mobile devices should be set to silent modes when patrons are in the Library.Other Concerns
Individuals responsible for damaging, defacing or stealing library materials, equipment or property will be reported to the Campus Police and/or the Dean of Students.Patrons are also expected to conform to University policies as stated in the Student Handbook http://www.wpunj.edu/dotAsset/136348.pdf. In addition, the following Library policies apply:
- Patrons must leave the Library promptly at closing time or during a fire alarm or emergency situation
- Commercial solicitation is prohibited.
- For their safety, children must be supervised.
- Permission to take photographs or videos must be received in advance from the Dean of Library Services.
Food is not permitted in any areas of the Library except for the Friends Room on the first floor and the Paterson Room on the second floor. Patrons bringing food and drink into the facility may be asked to move to the Friends Room. Beverages are permitted in most areas of the Library provided they are in spill-proof containers. Beverages are not permitted in computer labs, at microform readers or in Special Collections.Information Technology Resources
Use of Library computers, labs and laptops is governed by the University’s Information Technology Appropriate Use Policy available at http://www.wpunj.edu/is/policies.dot. Users of University information technology resources and services agree to act responsibly with respect to their fellow community members and these resources. Priority use is for academic purposes and activities supporting University instruction and research.Revised July, 2012