Biography and Genealogy
- The Biographical Dictionary
- Searchable database of over 28,000 notable individuals from earliest times to the present. Short descriptive entries are limited to basic facts (name, dates, nationality, profession, created works, other claims to fame), but this is useful for fast and convenient fact-checking.
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-Present
- Despite the title, this database is not organized in the manner of most directories: none of its information can be browsed. In order to use this site, you must go through its search screen and know the last name of a past or present member of Congress. Nevertheless, the information provided is authoritative, clear, and concise.
| Top of page |
- Cyndi's List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet
- Site originally designed in 1996 as a local resource for the Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society in Washington has since grown by leaps and bounds through the efforts of webmaster Cyndi Howells. Today, this classified, cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the Internet claims over 82,000 links pointing to genealogical research sites online. The subject index includes over 120 categories, so if you find the directory cumbersome, you can conduct a search using the site's search engine.
- The USGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Project is a massive volunteer effort (conducted largely at the county level) to provide internet websites for genealogical research in every county and state of the United States. This central site serves as a gateway to all state and county projects. Volunteers are involved in a large number of long-term undertakings, including the transcribing and posting public domain records (e.g., census records, marriage bonds, pensions, wills, etc.), surveying cemeteries, and digitizing old maps. There are many helpful research tools to be found here.