Faculty and Professional Staff Handbook
Reclassification Review Agreement
The University and Local 1796, AFT, have jointly agreed that the following guidelines shall govern reclassification review at the University.
A reclassification is defined as the change of an individual position from one class to another class.
- The member of the Professional Staff seeking reclassification "may apply to the first level non-unit supervisor for a position reclassification whenever there is a substantial increase in the job responsibilities" (Article XVI, Section G of the State-Union Agreement, 1999-2003). This procedure is inapplicable to reclassifications initiated by the University. Reclassifications may be made by the University for programmatic reasons or otherwise at any time in accordance with the State-Union agreement.
- The submission of a reclassification packet by a member of the Professional Staff shall activate the reclassification process 90 day clock.
- Reclassification packet
1. The reclassification packet shall include the following:
- A cover memo justifying the request. The memo shall state the significant differences between the previous and current responsibilities, i.e., new duties and responsibilities, changes in reporting structure, use of new technologies, etc.
- The employee’s job description at time of hire or appointment to current position, which shall be provided to the employee at his or her request within ten (10) days.
- The employee’s current job description, which shall be provided to the employee at his or her request within ten (10) days.
- A copy of the employee’s evaluation completed within the last year, which shall be provided to the employee at his or her request within ten (10) days.
- Copies of any supporting documentation identifying key projects, major accomplishments, curriculum vita and any other supporting documentation the employee wishes to include.
- An organizational table which should indicate the employee’s position in relation to other members of his or her office up to and including the level of the first level non-unit supervisor.
2. The employee should submit the completed packet to the first level non-unit supervisor, and a copy of the cover memo should be sent to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and AFT Local 1796 Union President.
III. 90 Day Review
A. First Level Non-Unit Supervisor Review
- The first level non-unit supervisor shall review the packet with the employee within ten (10) working days of receipt of the application.
- Subsequent to this review, the supervisor shall attach his/her written recommendation, recommending or not recommending, the reclassification request. If the supervisor approves the reclassification, a proposed job description, shall be attached. He/she shall forward a copy of his/her recommendation, including the proposed job description if applicable, to the applicant for review and response within five (5) working days of the meeting.
- The applicant shall have five (5) working days to respond in writing to the supervisor, who in turn shall immediately submit the response with the application, including the proposed job description, if applicable, to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.
(20 days on clock)
B. Associate Vice President for Human Resources’ Review
- The Associate Vice President for Human Resources shall review the packet for completeness and accuracy and make a recommendation to the supervisor and employee within twenty (20) working days of receiving the packet.
- The employee shall have ten (10) working days to respond to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources’ recommendation. The employee shall provide a copy of this response to the supervisor.
- At the conclusion of the above ten (10) day period, the Associate Vice President shall transmit the entire packet to the appropriate divisional Vice President or the Highest Administrator in Line before the Provost and Executive Vice President.
(50 days on clock)
C. Divisional Vice President or the Highest Administrator in Line before the Provost and Executive Vice President Review
The divisional vice president or the highest administrator in line before the Provost and Executive Vice President shall make a written recommendation to approve or deny the reclassification within (10) working days in writing and transmit it to the Provost/Executive Vice President, with a copy sent to the employee. If the recommendation is to deny the reclassification at this level, written reasons must accompany the recommendation. (60 days on clock)
D. Provost and Executive Vice President Review
The Provost and Executive Vice President’s recommendation to the President shall be provided in writing to the employee within ten (10) working days. (70 days on clock)
E. Decision of the President
- The President shall review the packet and render a decision in writing to the employee within ten (10) working days.
- If the reclassification is denied the applicant shall have five (5) working days to request reconsideration.
- The President shall have five days (5) to make a final decision.
- The President shall forward all positive recommendations to the Board of Trustees for action.
(90 days on clock)
- Claims of violation of procedure at all levels as outlined herein must be reported to the President within 14 working days consistent with the terms applying to the reports of violation of procedure by any personnel committee in the Agreement between the State and the Council of New Jersey State College Locals, AFT, AFL-CIO for July 1, 1999 to June 30, 2003.