Employee Assistance Program

What is the EAP?

CONCERN Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a national Knox-Keene licensed Employee Assistance Program. They are dedicated to the promotion of a productive workforce, while helping employees maintain a healthy balance in their personal and professional lives.

How do you get EAP help?

To schedule a confidential appointment with CONCERN EAP, call 1-800-242-7371.

A meeting will be arranged at your work site, or at one of 6 locations in New Jersey. We will make every effort to be as flexible as possible and to accommodate the individual needs of all concerned.

Friends, co-workers, or union representatives can refer employees by making a completely confidential telephone call to CONCERN. Supervisors may refer an employee to the Employee Assistance Program by calling CONCERN at 1-800-242-7371.

It is highly recommended that before referring any employee for a potential performance issue, the supervisor contacts Mr. John Polding at ext.3594 for guidance in the referral process. The Reasonable Suspicion form is available here to assist you in describing problem issues.

Who is eligible and what does it cost?

The EAP is available at no cost to all employees and their household members.

What problems can the EAP help you to solve?

We all have problems from time to time and generally, we can solve them ourselves. Sometimes, however, we feel "stuck" in a particular situation which may begin to affect our work and home lives. We also can be affected by the problems of our family members or co-workers. If you have been struggling with a problem for two weeks or longer, or if you feel that you need support during a crisis, that is the time to call. Issues that are frequently addressed through the EAP include:

Career Lack of direction or dissatisfaction in career
Child Care Child care issues
Elder Care Elderly parents or family members
Family Relationship Problems Marital , children
Financial Budgeting, financial difficulties
Health, Health Care, Health Benefits HMO's, other health care providers
Mental Health Appropriate care referrals
Retirement, Disability Eligibility, processing, related issues
Substance Abuse Alcohol, drugs or gambling
Work related issues Getting along with supervisors or coworkers, job performance, lateness and absenteeism, disciplinary problems, harassment, discrimination.

Is it confidential?

The EAP respects your right to receive private, confidential treatment. No Employee Assistance records or confidential information is shared with the University, and confirmation of your attendance at EAP appointments is shared only with your written permission.

In such cases where there is a threat to personal safety or the safety of others, confidentiality is superceded by the Tarasoff Decision, which obliges the counselor to warn and protect against danger.

Does the EAP protect an employee from disciplinary actions?

Coming to the EAP does not protect you from discipline, but it can provide suggestions for alternative ways to handle a problem.

Will there be a record placed in your personnel file?

In no case is any personal information from your counseling session placed in your personnel file.

When is CONCERN EAP available?

CONCERN is available Monday through Saturday, with hours on campus by appointment (1-800-242-7371).

Additional Assistance and Information:

  • Alcohol Screening Instrument - This tool enables individuals to privately assess their own alcohol use. Results are kept private. Click here to access this tool.