Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


1. What are the hours of the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center?

During the academic year, the Center is open Mondays from 8:30 am to 6 pm and Tuesday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. During the summer, the Center is open Mondays from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and Tuesdays through Thursday from 8:00 am – 5:15 pm. Please note that medical services are not provided after 4:30 pm on Mondays during the academic year and are not provided after 5:15 pm on Mondays during the summer.

2. Who can utilize the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center?                                                                                                  

Any student that is currently registered for a class or classes can be seen at the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center.  This includes part time and non degree students.

3. Is there a charge for Counseling, Health & Wellness services?                                                                                          

No, we do not take any insurance nor do we charge for visits.  All students are charged a Health Service Fee (as part of the tuition/fees paid for the semester) and therefore can receive health care at no additional cost.  We even offer some medication free of charge.  There are some minimal charges for labs, pregnancy testing, medication and immunizations.

4. What kinds of health services are offered?

Primary Care, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Sports Medicine, Sick and Injury Care, HIV/ STD Testing,  On site Lab Testing and Pharmacy.  You can call 973-720-2360 to schedule an appointment. 

5. Who are the staff members that provide health services?

Health services are provided by nurse practitioners, a part-time physician, registered nurses and a medical   assistant.

6. If I have a chronic medical condition and would like to discuss my treatment plan or have medical concerns is there someone I can talk to?        

We would be glad to discuss your medical condition further and can assist you while you are on campus. You can call 973-720-2360 and ask to speak to a nurse.


7. What kinds of counseling services are offered?

Individual and group counseling services are provided to WPU students. Medication consultation and management is also provided in situations in which a student’s concern cannot be resolved with counseling alone.  Students who seek medication from the Center’s psychiatrist must also meet regularly with a counselor. Please call 973-720-2257 to schedule an appointment.

 8. Who are staff members that provide counseling services?

Counseling services are provided by psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, supervised graduate interns, and a consulting psychiatrist.

9. Is there a limit to the number of counseling sessions I can have?

No, students can have as many sessions as needed to resolve the problem.

10. If I was receiving psychological services before attending WPU, can I transfer my care to the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center?

Yes, the Counseling staff will work with previous treatment providers to take over the care of the student while the student is on campus.

11. Is the information shared kept confidential?

Yes, the records kept at the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center are completely separate from the academic record. The staff cannot share information about a student without the student’s written consent unless the student is in immediate danger of hurting him/herself or someone else, or informs us that a minor child is being abused.  If a student is under 18, parents do need to sign a consent form acknowledging that they are aware that the student is utilizing the services. There is an exception with regard to contraception services. Students under the age of 18 are permitted to obtain contraception without parental permission.

12. What do I do if I have a medical emergency on campus? 

If you have a medical emergency on campus you can call 973-720-2300 for campus police to respond.  Depending on your emergency, and time of day, you will either be brought to the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center or, if necessary, to the hospital. 

13. Does the Counseling Center provide emergency services?

During business hours there is always someone available who can speak with a student in crisis. In addition, there is a counselor on call 24/7 to assist in the event of an after-hours emergency. The counselor on call can be reached at the Counseling Center main number, 973-720-2257.

14. Is there a required health form that I must submit?

Yes,   there is a Health Form that each student must submit along with documentation of immunizations.  All documentation must be received by August 1 for Fall Semester and by January 2 for Spring Semester.  The Health Form can be found on the Counseling, Health and Wellness Center webpage or on the Admissions Website under First Year Students.

15. Does WPU require any immunizations for attendance? 

Yes, all students enrolled in a program leading to an academic degree must submit immunization documentation.  These are requirements set forth by the State of New Jersey. Non Resident students are required to have the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Vaccines and Hepatitis B Vaccines.  All residential students are required to have MMR Vaccines, Hepatitis B Vaccines, and a Meningitis Vaccine. Incoming first year students who do not submit the required immunization documentation, will not be permitted to register for the spring semester.

16. If I have specific questions about the immunization requirements whom can I contact?

You can call the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center at 973-720-2360 or email

17. Does it matter what type of insurance coverage I have? 

Counseling, Health & Wellness services are available to registered students, regardless of type of insurance coverage. We do not bill insurance companies for the services we provide in-house. If we have to refer you to an outside provider, we would work with you to make an appropriate referral based on insurance coverage.

18. What does the Wellness Coordinator provide?

Our wellness coordinator offers educational programs and events on a variety of mental health and medical topics including, but not limited to, smoking cessation, alcohol and drug abuse information, the dangers of drinking and driving, and much more! Please contact Katie Rizman at 973-720-2382/ for more information.

19. Can I have someone from the Counseling, Health & Wellness Center come to speak at my class or group meeting about the services provided by the Center or about a medical or psychological topic?

Yes, we offer outreach programs to the campus community. Please contact Daisy Rodriguez, Coordinator of Outreach, at to discuss the potential program. She will discuss the feasibility of offering the requested program with the individual making the request. We require at least two weeks’ notice for any request.