The Cotsakos College of Business is a university partner and competitor in the New York Society of Securities Analysts Investment Research Challenge. The goal of the competition is to create a sell-side stock research report for a predefined company and develop an investment recommendation supported by their research. Students are required to examine a stock and related industry through field research, carefully scrutinize the company’s financial statements, and participate in company presentations and analyst’s meetings. Student research and recommendations are supervised by a faculty advisor at WPU as well as an industry mentor assigned to the school.
Students participating in the challenge receive the following benefits:
- Training in Research and Report Writing: Students receive training by attending NYSSA-sponsored seminars on Insider Tools for Analysts, Report Writing, and Ethics. Seminars are taught by NYSSA members and are held on campuses of participating universities or at NYSSA.
- Mentoring By a Professional Research Analyst: Each team is mentored by a professional research analyst, who reviews and critiques the team's report.
- Assessment of Written Reports: A group of volunteer graders selected from NYSSA’s membership assess the written research reports and choose four finalist teams to present their findings to a panel of experts.
- Presentation of Research to a High-Profile Panel of Wall Street Experts: The four finalist teams present their research to a panel of respected Wall Street experts. The winning team will be selected based on the combined scores for the written report and the presentation.
Areas of Study
Students participating in this challenge gain valuable real world experience and apply what they have learned in the classroom. Team members achieve the following results:
- Understand the investment management process from a buy and sell side viewpoint.
- Determine real world strategies and understand different models for valuing a company.
- Determine relevant factors for industry and macroeconomic research which can be applied across multiple industries.
- Understand the importance of teamwork.
- Draw a parallel between academic work and field research.
- Network with peers form other universities.
- Develop a working relationship with their faculty advisor and industry mentor.
Who should participate
Undergraduate and graduate students at William Paterson University who are interested in a career in equity research, portfolio management, investment banking or accounting.
Accounting, Finance, Financial Planning