Greetings from William Paterson University! An affordable education is our theme, and we are here to provide you with the necessary information to locate and secure available funding. Just follow these simple instructions:
1. The William Paterson University priority FAFSA filing deadline is March 1. To apply for federal, state and institutional financial aid consideration, students must complete the 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); you can apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov . Students need an FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA. Students, who do not have a Federal Student Aid Identification Number (FSA ID), should apply for one now at www.fsaid.ed.gov. The parents of dependent students must also apply for an FSA ID now, so that they can electronically sign your FAFSA. Males between the ages of 18 and 25 who have not registered for Selective Service must do so; they may register through the FAFSA, or by accessing www.sss.gov.Females are not required to register for Selective Service. In Step Six of the FAFSA, list Federal School Code 002625. Assistance completing the FAFSA may be requested by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Hearing impaired individuals may contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913. You may wish to view this tutorial to complete the FAFSA http://www.finaid.ucsb.edu/FAFSASimplification/index.html
2. A new and very important process called the IRS Data Retrieval (IDR) Tool is available to assist in the completion of the FAFSA. The IRS Data Retrieval (IDR) process enables FAFSA to request and retrieve income and tax data directly from the IRS allowing you to automatically have your family’s income information transferred into your FAFSA. Filing tax returns electronically will ensure that IDR is available after three (3) weeks of filing. If you use a paper tax return, it will take at least 6 to 8 weeks before IDR is available to you, your spouse (if married) and your parents (if dependent). You may wish to view this IRS Data Retrieval Tool Tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiNkqyCIuro . *The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is currently unavailable and will be reinstated on October 1, 2017 for the 2018-19 FAFSA cycle.*
3. You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail several weeks after submitting your FAFSA if an e-mail address was not provided; review the SAR for accuracy. If the FAFSA contained an e-mail address, you will receive an email within a few days after your submission. If you must correct your SAR, add William Paterson University as a school of choice, or would like to check the status of your FAFSA, you can do so online by using your PIN to access your processed FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. SAR copies can also be obtained by contacting the Federal Processor at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
4. Once all your application materials are reviewed by the Financial Aid Office, you will be notified if additional information is needed, or you will receive your first WPU Financial Aid Award Notification letter. Only your first award letter and/or request for additional information will be mailed as paper copies; all subsequent notifications will be sent to your campus email. WPU students are required to continuously read their campus e-mail (including winter and summer breaks).
5. New federal regulations require that students/parents submit official 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcripts, Tax Account Transcripts and/or Record of Account if selected for verification; paper copies of federal income tax returns CANNOT be accepted as they do not meet the federally mandated requirements. Federal Income Tax Return “transcripts” can be obtained by contacting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800- 829-1040, or go to https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript The tax filer can print, save, and/or forward the pdf IRS Tax Return Transcript as necessary.
Completed documents may be faxed to 973-720-3133, or e-mailed to email@example.com.
6. Upon completion of the FAFSA, students will come to a confirmation page. New Jersey residents will be prompted to complete the NJ Additional Data Collection Form before the FAFSA is submitted. Both the student and parent (if the student is dependent) must be legal residents of New Jersey in order to be eligible for state aid. Students will receive a Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) from New Jersey Higher Education Student Assistance Authority (HESAA). This is a notification of your state aid eligibility (state grants and scholarships are restricted to full time undergraduate students). This award is not finalized until your file has been reviewed and approved by the Financial Aid Office. Be sure WPU is indicated on the SEN as the school you are attending or make the necessary correction; to electronically complete the NJ Data Collection Form (if not done while completing the FAFSA), or add WPU to your SEN access the following website: https://www.hesaa.org/CustAuth/user-controller.htm and follow the “Login” instructions (new users must register first). State aid eligibility is based on the appropriate enrollment, satisfactory academic progress, and matriculation in a degree program. HESAA has the following deadlines: June 1, if you received a Tuition Aid Grant (TAG) in 2016-2017. All other applications - September 15, for fall and spring terms; February 15, for spring term only; these deadlines also apply to the NJ Additional Data Collection Form. Visit HESAA’s website at www.hesaa.org, or call 1-800-792-8670 to obtain additional state aid information.
7. Active Acceptance of your Direct Loans: You must accept your Direct Loans in order for them to be active. Go to your WP Connect Self-Service and choose the Financial Aid area, then choose My Award Information and the 2017-18 year. Please follow the instructions to Accept or Decline your full award or to Accept a partial award. Be sure to check that any award changes will not result in a balance due on your term bill.
Please visit our website at www.wpunj.edu/financial-aid to learn more about the Financial Aid process. Much success in your future endeavors.