Mail Processing Center
Postage Saving Tips
PIONEER POSTAGE SAVING TIPS
- Email or FAX or email the information, if possible, when time is crucial instead of using Express Mail Service.
- Use Certified Mail instead of Registered Mail Service when possible. The Certified Mail Service costs less and still provides a receipt and delivery notice to the sender.
- Consider alternative methods of delivery: Parcel Post and UPS.
- Use postcards for short messages and announcements. They cost about 1/3 less than sending a sealed envelope.
- Screen your mailing list for unnecessary duplicate names and incomplete or incorrect addresses.
- Use Library or Book Rate when possible. The cost can be as much as 50% less than the First-Class rate.
- Do not over-insure. The U.S. Post Office and UPS will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
- Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors instead of replying with a department envelope.
- Combine mailings to a single destination into a larger envelope if possible.
- Eliminate Intra-Campus envelopes. Fold memos, staple and address correctly for campus delivery; or use e-mail, fax, networked equipment.