Employment Equity and Diversity
Video Conferencing Guidelines for Search Committees
Videoconferencing (two-way interactive video) is an option that is available to search committees who want to conduct interviews with potential job applicants, saving travel time and expense. There are videoconferencing facilities in the following locations:
- Atrium Dean's Conference Room
- Raubinger Hall Graduate Studies Conference Room, Hobart Hall
- Paterson Room in the Library
- Morrison Hall Conference Room
- College Hall Board Room
In order to have a successful videoconference, please follow the following guidelines:
1. Identify the candidate you wish to interview, their location and ascertain whether they would be willing to conduct the interview at their home institution (if they are affiliated with a college or university.)
2. Call (Ext. 2980) or email Jane Hutchison, Associate Director of IRT and provide her with the following information:
a. Name of candidate
b. Location and phone numbers
c. Institutional affiliation and whether they are willing to conduct the interview there. (If not, the closest Kinkos with videoconferencing capabilities will be contacted by IRT to arrnge for the interview.)
d. Preferred date and time of interview (be aware of different time zones when coordinating with Search Committee and candidate
e. Preferred location of the interview on campus.
f. Contact name for Search Committee Chairperson, phone number and email address
g. Departmental billing information and account number (College or Unit approval may need to be gained prior to arranging the videoconference)
All local and far site arrangements will be booked by IRT. IRT will contact the Chairperson of the Search Committee to confirm the date, time, place and prices. It is the Chairperson's responsibility to contact the candidate and members of the Search Committee to confirm the date, time, and place of the videoconference.
There is a 30-minute test time prior to the videoconference to ensure compatibility with the sites. A technical staff member of IRT will be on site to set up the conference room and remain outside throughout the conference for troubleshooting.
3. Helpful guidelines for conducting the interview:
a. Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the videoconference interview. If you have
questions, please ask the IRT technical staff member on duty
b. Come prepared with questions for the candidate to a avoid "dead" time
c. Avoid clothing with a tight check or fine line pattern
d. Speak slowly and clearly
e. There will be an audio delay in response time, so give the candidate time to respond to questions
f. Only one person should speak at a time
g. Avoid shuffling papers or tapping a pen on the table as the microphone will pick up these sounds
h. The videoconference will end at the appointed time so you cannot extend the interview as the signal will end abruptly. Therefore, be mindful of the time and make sure you allow for closure with the candidate
4. IRT wants this to be a successful experience for the Search Committee. Please contact Jane Hutchison if there were any problems or concerns so they can be corrected for future conferencing.