FAQ Prospective Students


Should I identify myself as a student with a disability to Admissions?

William Paterson University values diversity and seeks to promote access to educational opportunities for all students. Admission is based upon requirements established by the Admissions Office in accordance with University policy.  Disability is not considered when an admissions decision is made.  Applicants with disabilities are welcome to discuss their concerns they may have about the impact of their disability on admission to the University.  Questions or concerns should be directed to the Office of Admission and/or the Office of Disability Services.  

A prospective student with a disability is not obligated to self-identify prior to admission to the University unless s/he is requesting accommodations from the University.  Upon acceptance, however, incoming students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible. Because many accommodations require advanced planning, early identification of a student's needs helps to ensure that arrangements and accommodations can be made in a timely manner.

Confidentiality - Who has access to disability related information? How are faculty informed?

Once a student has been deemed eligible for our services and is in need of classroom accomodations an 'Accomodation Letter' will be drafted for the student and will be sent to them through their WP e-mail at the beginning of every Fall and Spring semester. If a student will be taking any Summer courses, you must notify our office so that we can draft a new letter and send it to you. It will then be the responsibility of the student to present this letter to their professor. It is suggested that you meet with your professor to discuss any specifics in regards to your coursework.         

How do I receive services from Disability Services?

The first step in receiving services is to contact the Office of Disability Services to schedule an appointment for an initial interview. It is helpful if you bring all documentation of your disability to your initial interview. In the initial interview, the Director of Disability Services will speak with you about your disability and try to create a combination of accommodations that will help you achieve academic success. Each semester, it is the student's responsibility to pick up his/her accommodation letters. These letters will be given by the student to each of his/her professors at the beginning of each semester.  

What kind of services and accommodations does Disability Services provide?

All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. However, typical accommodations may include...

  • Registration assistance
  • Parking assistance
  • Referrals
  • Adapted classroom activities
  • Classroom relocations
  • Note-taking services
  • Adaptive technology
  • Extended test time

Where is Disability Services located?

The Office of Disability Services is located in Speert Hall 134 (formerly Wayne Hall). If driving, enter campus through Entry 4 off of Pompton Road park in Lot 5 parking lot (if you are new to campus) adjacent to the Lorraine and David Cheng Library. Speert Hall is located directly across from the Library building. (**If you are consulting a campus map, Speert Hall (formerly Wayne Hall) is marked with 16.) Enter Speert Hall (located near the bus stop) from the main doors on the front of the building. The Office of Disability Services is located adjacent to Wayne Dining Hall, behind the lounge (with the Red Walls).

How can I contact Disability Services?

The Office of Disability Services can be contacted via phone at 973-720-2853 or via email at disability2@wpunj.edu

What kind of documentation is needed to receive accommodations?

The type of documentation needed depends on your disability. Please see the documentation guideline links for physical impairments, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, and psychological/psychiatric disabilities, below.

Guidelines: Physical     Guidelines: ADHD      Guidelines: Post Secondary Level Education

                                  Guidelines: Psychological/Psychiatric

How can I be tested for a learning disability?

If your documentation is incomplete or outdated, you can visit the Office of Disability Services to inquire about different options for getting tested. 

Is ADHD considered a disability?

Yes. You can receive accommodations for ADHD if you have the required documentation.

When should I meet with someone?

Most students schedule an appointment for an initial interview after they have been admitted to the University. However, some students prefer to meet with the Director of Disability Services prior to applying to the University. The Office of Disability Services will meet with a student any time prior to or throughout his or her undergraduate career. However, students need to remember that the earlier they meet with the Office of Disability Services, the easier it will be for them to receive accommodations.

Do students with disabilities fill out a different admissions application?

No. Students with disabilities follow the standard admissions process.

Do I have to pay for services provided by the Office of Disability Services?

No. All services, including note takers, are provided to students free of charge. However, if students require additional testing to properly document their disabilities, the student is responsible for any testing costs.