Department of Nursing
The William Paterson University Nursing program is a 4 year Bachelor of Science in Nursing program which requires 123.5 college credits. The curriculum has been revised to an upper division curriculum requiring all prerequisite and most University Core Curriculum (general education) courses be completed prior to taking any NUR prefixed courses. The prerequisites are:
- BIO 1120 - General Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 1130 - General Anatomy & Physiology II
- BIO 1700 - Microbiology
- PSY 1100 - General Psychology
- PSY 2100 - Developmental Psychology
- CHEM 1330 - Chemistry for Health Sciences
- MATH 1300 - Elementary Statistics
- NUR 3500 - Nursing Research
- PBHL 2240 - Therapeutic Nutrition
- BIO 3120 Advanced Anatomy & Physiology
The nursing core sequence of courses begins in both Spring and Fall semesters and continue for 2 academic years. Students seeking a part-time option are advised the nursing core courses have been created in clusters so that certain courses must be taken together. Students considering a part- time option may complete all pre and co-requisite courses and UCC (University Core Curriculum) requirements part-time, but will not be able to do so once the Nursing sequence begins. Once accepted into the nursing major, a nursing advisor will be assigned to help sequence the courses appropriately. UCC courses are available with day, evening, weekend and online options, while Nursing courses are primarily offered during the day.
A timely completion of degree requires Nursing major students to complete all courses within six semesters of your first nursing clinical course (NUR 3280). Clinical lab courses are held in the various clinical agencies throughout New Jersey. Students are required to have their own transportation for these clinical lab courses. Agencies used frequently include but are not limited to:
- Bergen Regional Medical Center
- Hackensack University Medical Center
- Atlantic Health System
- St. Clare’s Health System
- St. Joseph 's Hospital and Medical Center
- The Valley Health System
- Visiting Health Services of New Jersey
Click here to view the suggested sequence of courses.
For an application and further information contact the Admissions Office at (973) 720-2125. The catalog and application is available online. Other information may be obtained via e-mail from Dr. Kalb or (973) 720-3938.