Department of Nursing
The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International provides leadership and scholarship in practice, education, and research to enhance the health of all people. We support learning and professional development of our members who strive to improve nursing care worldwide.
All three organizations-the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International; The International Honor Society of Nursing Building Corporation; and the International Honor Society of Nursing Foundation-exist to further the vision of the society, which is to create a global community of nurses who lead using scholarship, knowledge, and technology to improve the health of the world’s people.
- “Membership is by invitation only to baccalaureate and graduate nursing students who have demonstrated excellence in scholarship, and to nurse leaders exhibiting exceptional achievements in nursing.”
- Worldwide, more than 340,000 members have been inducted.
- Sigma Theta Tau is the second largest nursing organization in the world, with more than 120,000 active members.
- Sixty-one percent of active members hold master’s and/or doctoral degrees. Forty-eight percent are clinicians, 21 percent are administrators or supervisors and 20 percent are educators or researchers.
- There are 423 chapters on 523 college campuses in the U.S., Canada, Hong Kong, Pakistan, South Korea, Australia, Taiwan, Brazil, and Netherlands.