Faculty & Staff, Mathematics - Spring 2016
Melkamu Zeleke, Ph.D.
Office: 3050 Sience Hall East
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30-9:30a
Position: Professor of Mathematics
Area Specialization: Enumerative Combinatorics and Combinatorial Number Theory
Highlights of Administrative Experience and Service
- Chairperson, Department of Mathematics, William Paterson University, September 2004-June 2010.
- Assistant Chairperson, Department of Mathematics, William Paterson University, September 2003 - August 2004.
- Member, College of Science & Health Executive Council, William Paterson University, September 2004-June 2010.
- Member, College of Science & Health Strategic Initiatives Committee, September 2003-June 2010.
- Member, Senate Council on University Core Curriculum (UCC), Fall 2009 - Spring 2014.
- Member, Senate UCC Panel on Scientific and Quantitative Perspectives, Fall 2009 - present.
- Member, University Sabbatical Committe, 2007-2008 & 2012-2013 academic years.
- Faculty Senate Department Representative, 2001-2004.
- International Symposium on Applied Natural Science, Adama Science and Technology University, Adama, Ethiopia, January 14-16, 2016.
- Algorithmic and Enumerative Combinatorics Summer School, Research Institute for Symbolic Computation, Johannes Kepler University, Hagenberg, Austria, August 2014.
- Mathematics Seminar, William Paterson University of New Jersey, Spring 2014.
- Lectures on Enumerative and Algebraic Combinatorics, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, December 2013.
- INTEGERS 2013 – The Erdös Centennial Conference in Combinatorial Number Theory, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, October 2013.
- Experimental Mathematics Seminar, Rutgers University, NJ, April 2013. (YouTube link of the talk Part 1, Part 2)
- Experimental Mathematics Seminar, Rutgers University, NJ, April 2012. (YouTube link of the talk Part 1, Part 2)
- Mathematics Colloquium, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, February 2011. (Delivered while serving as US Fulbright Scholar in Ethiopia.)
- From A = B to Z = 60: Conference in Honor of Doron Zeilberger's 60th Birthday, Rutgers University, NJ, May 2010. (YouTube link of the talk Part 1, Part 2)
- On the Mobius Function of Pointed Grated Lattice (with S. Asefa Fufa), submitted (2015).
- On Exponential Pointed Structures, (with S. Asefa Fufa), submitted (2015).
- On Subsets of Ordered Trees Enumerated by a Subsequence of Fibonacci Numbers, Proceedings of The Erdös Centennial Conference in Combinatorial Number Theory (with M. Jani), INTEGERS 15A (2015) #A14.
- On Generalization of Motzkin Numbers using k-Trees (with M. Jani), Ars Combinatoria, 89, 287 – 297 (2008).
- A Bijective Proof of a Tennis Ball Problem (with M. Jani), Bulletin of Inst. Of Combinat. and its Appl., 41, 89 - 95 (2004).
- Catalan Identities and k-trees, Congressus Numerantium, 165, 39 - 49 (2003).
- Enumeration of K-Trees and Applications (with M. Jani & R.G. Rieper), Annals of Combinatorics 6, 375-382 (2002).
- Skew Diagrams and Ordered Trees (with R.G. Rieper), Advances in Applied Mathematics 27, 671-681 (2001).
- Valleyless Sequences (with R.G. Rieper), Congressus Numerantium 145, 33-42 (2000).
- On Disjoint Covering Systems with Precisely One Repeated Modulus (with J. Simpson), Advances in Applied Mathematics 23, 322-332 (1999).
- Examples of Noninjectivity for the Combinatorial Radon Transform, Journal of Difference Equations and Applications 5, 319 - 322 (1998).
- On Injectivity of the combinatorial Radon transform of order 5 (with T. Amdeberhan), Journal Computational and Applied Mathematics 83, 251-255 (1997).
Doctoral Degree Thesis Supervised
- Samuel A. Fufa, On the Mobius Function of Pointed Partitions and Pointed Exponential Structures, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, May 2015.
Masters Degree Projects Supervised
- Esubalew Getie, Riordan Arrays and Enumeration Problems, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, Spring 2013.
- Daniel Workneh, Pattern Avoiding Permutations, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, Spring 2013.
- Temesgen Molla, Fibonacci Numbers, Schur Polynomials, and the Rogers-Ramanujan Identities, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, Spring 2011.
- Thomas Berhanu, K-Trees and q-Catalan Numbers, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, Spring 2011.
- Fufa Beyene, Survey of Fine and Motzkin Numbers, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, Spring 2011.
Other Conference Presentations
- 3rd Annual South American Conference on Algebra, Number Theory & Combinatorics, Universidad Industrial de Santander, Bucaramanga, Colombia, July 2008.
- Algebra Seminar, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia, July 2008.
- Mathematics Colloquium, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY, November 2007.
- 6th International Conference on Lattice Path Combinatorics, Eastern Tennessee University, Johnstown, TN, July 2007.
- Experimental Mathematics Seminar, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, March 2006.
- 37th Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, March 2006.
- The 2005 INTEGERS Conference, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, October 2005.
- International Conference on Paths, Permutations and Trees, Nankai University, Tianjin, P.R. China, February 2004.
- Joint Mathematics Meetings, Contributed Papers, Baltimore, MD, January 2003.
- 966th AMS Meeting, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, NJ, April 2001.
- 9th Annual Faculty-Student Scholarship Day, William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ, October 2000.
- 9th Quadrennial International Conference on Graph Theory, Combinatorics and Applications, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, June 2000.
- Mathematics Colloquium, Howard University, Washington, D.C., October 1999.
- AMS Eastern Sectional Meeting, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, April 1999.
Awards and Fellowships
- US Fulbright Scholar, Addis Ababa University, August 2010 – June 2011.
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Temple University, April 1997.
- DAAD, German Academic Exchange Fellowship, University of Griefswald, June 1992-Aug 1992.
- DAAD, German Academic Exchange Inter-country Fellowship, Addis Ababa University, September 1990 - June 1992.
- Gold Medalist, College of Natural Science, Addis Ababa University, July 1989.