Department of Biology
Pre-Physical Therapy Program
WPUNJ / RUTGERS SHRP
3+ 3 Pre-Physical Therapy Program
(beginning Fall 2011)
The Department of Biology at William Paterson University (WPUNJ) in conjunction with the Rutgers School of Health Related Professions (Rutgers SHRP) has established a collaborative 3 + 3 program of study leading to the Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from WPUNJ and the Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from the Rugters SHRP after completion of a six year joint program. Successful students will spend three years (or the time required to complete 83.5 credits) in the Pre-Physical Therapy program at WPUNJ fulfilling the requirements for admission to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Rutgers SHRP.* The following requirements must be completed at William Paterson:
**Major Science and Mathematics Courses:
|General Anatomy & Physiology I, II (BIO 1120, 1130)||8 credits|
|General Chemistry I, II (CHEM 1600, 1610)||8 credits|
|College Physics I & II (PHYS 2550, 2560)||8 credits|
|Calculus I (MATH 1600)||4 credits|
|Statistics for Science Majors (MATH 2300)||4 credits|
|General Biology I (BIO 1630)||4 credits|
|Genetics (BIO 2060)||4 credits|
University Core Curriculum (UCC) and Elective Courses:
|First Year Seminar (WPU 1010)||1.5 credits|
|UCC Personal Well-Being||3 credits|
|UCC Expression (Art & Comm; Literature; Writing)||9 credits|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: (Philos.; Hist; Soc & Behav; Must include General Psychology PSY 1100)||12 credits|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: Science: College Physics I (PHYS 2550)||list above|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: Quantitative: Calculus I (MATH 1600)||list above|
|UCC Diversity and Justice||3 credits|
|UCC Community and Civic Knowledge||3 credits|
|UCC Global Awareness||3 credits|
|Foreign Language||6 credits|
|Biomechanics (KNES 3300)||3 credits|
|Writing Intensive (4 courses) – may be included in above courses|
|Technology Intensive (2 courses) – may be included in above courses||(list above)|
Total number of credits required at WPUNJ 83.5 credits**
Students must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 to be competitve for admission to the Physical Therapy program at Rutgers SHRP. A GPA of 3.3 is preferred.
Three Year Suggested Course Sequence
|Bio 1120||4||Bio 1130||4|
|WPU 1010||1.5||Math 1600||4|
|Bio 1630||4||Bio 2060||4|
|Chem 1600||4||Chem 1610||4|
|Foreign Lang I||3||Foreing Lang II||3|
|Phys 2550||4||Phys 2560||4|
|Math 2300||4||KNES 3300||3|
Total Credits 83.5
*Admission to the Physical Therapy Program at Rugers SHRP is not guaranteed.
**University policy requires that at least 30 of the 83.5 total credits shall be completed at WPU. Further, half the ‘major’ courses (20 of 40 credits), including at least 8 credits of biology, must be taken at WPU.
Students accepted in the Physical Therapy Program at Rutgers SHRP will receive the BS from William Paterson University after the completion of the first year at Rutgers SHRP, and a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) degree after the completion of the program.
Students not admitted to the Physical Therapy program after their 3rd year of study in the Pre-PT program, may complete the Biology or Biotechnology major within the 4th year at William Paterson University.
S e n i o r Y e a r
(to complete Biology/Biotechnology Major)
Organic Chemistry I, II (CHEM 2510, 0510, 2520, 0520) 8 credits
Cell Biology (BIO 2050) 4 credits
Ecology, Evolution and Behavior (BIO 2490) 4 credits
Biology Electives (3000-4000 level) 15-16 credits
Biology concentration-specific course 3-4 credits
Biology Seminar (BIO 4800) 2 credits
Total credits 36-38 credits
ADDITIONAL FACTS ABOUT THE
PRE-PHYSICAL THERAPY/DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL
THERAPY PROGRAM AT WPUNJ/RUTGERS SHRP
- The primary advantage for a student in this articulated program is that it reduces one year of schooling. Students who apply to Rutgers SHRP from non-articulating schools must have a bachelor’s degree.
- Rutgers SHRP has a total of approximately 50 slots available each year.
- The GRE is required for admission and letters of recommendation from Physical Therapists for whom the applicant has worked or volunteered.
- Applicants should contact Dr. Leonard who will help them with their application packets. Applications for Rutgers SHRP’s Physical Therapy program are available online at http://shrp.rugters.edu/dept/PT/North/admissions/application_process_tips.htm
- Students should apply to Rutgers SHRP during the summer (e.g., July, August) before their third year. Deadline for applications is October 1st.
- Tuition for the Rutgers SHRP, DPH PT program is available on their website at http://rbhs.rutgers.edu/studentfinancialaid/index_new_brow.htm.
- Undergraduate financial aid will end when the student completes the program at William Paterson University.
- After the required 83.5 credits at WPUNJ, the number of credits required in the Physical Therapy program at Rutgers SHRP is 110, with a required summer semester at the beginning of the program.
- The contact informaiton for the Admission Committee at Rutgers SHRP is available at http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/PT/north/faculty_staff/faculty_staff.html