3 + 3 Pre-Physician Assistant Program
The Department of Biology at William Paterson University (WPUNJ) in conjunction with the Rutgers School of Health Related Professions (Rutgers SHRP) has established a collaborative 3 + 3 program of study leading to the Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from WPUNJ and the Master of Science-Physician Assistant degree from the Rutgers SHRP after completion of a six year joint program. Successful students will spend three years (or the time required to complete 92.5 credits) in the Pre-Physician Assistant (pre-PA) program at WPUNJ fulfilling the requirements for admission to the MS-Physician Assistant program at Rutgers SHRP.* The following requirements must be completed at William Paterson:
**Major Science and Mathematics Courses:
|General Anatomy & Physiology I, II (BIO 1120, 1130)||8 credits|
|General Biology I (BIO 1630)||4 credits|
|Cell Biology (BIO 2050)||4 credits|
|Genetics (BIO 2060)||4 credits|
|General Chemistry I, II (CHEM 1600, 1620)||8 credits|
|Organic Chemistry I, II (CHEM 2510, 0510, 2520, 0520)||8 credits|
|College Physics I, II (PHYS 2550, 2560)||8 credits|
|Calculus I (MATH 1600)||4 credits|
|Statistics (MATH 2300)||4 credits|
University Core Curriculum (UCC) and Elective Courses:
|First Year Seminar (WPU 1010)||1.5 credits|
|UCC Personal Well-Being||3 credits|
|UCC Expression (Art & Comm; Literature; Writing)(Must include College Writing (ENG 1110))||9 credits|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: (Philos; Hist; Soc & Behav)(Must include General Psychology (PSY 1100))||12 credits|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: Science (College Physics I (PHYS 2550))||(list above)|
|UCC Ways of Knowing: Quantitative (Calculus I (MATH 1600))||(list above)|
|UCC Diversity and Justice||3 credits|
|UCC Community and Civic Knowledge||3 credits|
|UCC Global Awareness||3 credits|
|Foreign Language||6 credits|
|Writing Intensive (3 courses) – may be included in above courses|
|Technology Intensive (2 courses) – Cell Biology and Genetics||(list above)|
Total number of credits required at WPUNJ 92.5 credits**
Students must have a GPA of at least 3.0 to be considered for admission to the MS-Physician Assistant program at Rutgers SHRP.
*Admission to the MS-Physician Assistant Program at Rutgers SHRP is not guaranteed.
**This program is limited to freshman. For eligibility consult Dr. Leonard, pre-professional advisor.
Three Year Suggested Course Sequence
|Bio 1120||4||Bio 1130||4|
|WPU 1010||1.5||Math 1600||4|
|Bio 1630||4||Bio 2060||4|
|Chem 1600||4||Chem 2060||4|
|Foreign Lang I||3||Foreing Lang II||3|
|Bio 2550||4||Phys 2560||4|
|Chem 2510/0510||4||Chem 2520/0520||4|
Total Credits 92.5
Students accepted in the MS-Physician Assistant Program at Rutgers SHRP will receive the BS Biology degree from William Paterson University after the completion of the first year at Rutgers SHRP, and a MS-Physician Assistant degree after the completion of the program.
Students not admitted to the MS-Physician Assistant Program after their 3rd year of study in the Pre-PA program, may complete the BS Biology major within the 4th year at William Paterson University.
S e n i o r Y e a r
(to complete Biology Major)
Ecology, Evolution and Behavior (BIO 2490) 4 credits
AND (select ONE of the three Concentrations below)
Biology: General Concentration 14-16 credits
(Plant course + 3 Biology Electives)
Biology: Physiology & Behavior Concentration 14-15 credits
(An. Behavior + An. Physiology + 2 Biology Electives)
Biology: Ecology Concentration 14-16 credits
(Ecology + Pl. Ecology + 2 Biology Electives)
Biology Seminar (BIO 4800) 2 credits
Writing Intensive course (upper level) 3 credits
Total 23-25 credits
ADDITIONAL FACTS ABOUT THE
ASSISTANT PROGRAM AT WPUNJ/RUTGERS SHRP
(Initiated Fall 2012)
- The primary advantage for a student in this articulated program is that it reduces one year of schooling. Students who apply to Rutgers SHRP from non-articulating schools must have a bachelor’s degree.
- Rutgers SHRP has a total of approximately 50 slots available each year.
- While no entrance exam is required, the applicant should become very familiar with the Admissions tab on the website (http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/primary_care/paweb/). The student should pay particular attention to the General Info, Tuition & Fees, and Essential Functions (and the section for International Students where applicable). For all 3+3 students, the guidelines for articulated schools are given at the BOTTOM of the web site in a section entitled: “Admission Requirements for those who are seeking admission from one of our 3+3 articulated institutions.”
- An important note about the articulation agreement is as follows : “Please note that enrollment at one of these institutions does not guarantee admittance to the Physician Assistant Program nor does meeting the minimum requirements.”
- Application Deadlines for 3+3 Applications: “Applications are submitted directly to the PA Program by June 1 at the end of the sophomore year.” The website for the downloadable application is found on the web site for general information: http://shrp.rutgers.edu/dept/primary_care/paweb/admissions/index.html. This web site includes application instructions and a form for recommenders.
- Letters of Recommendation for the WP/Rutgers SHRP PA program do NOT include a pre-professional committee letter, and it is the responsibility of the student to learn which letters are required (see website listed in #3), to engage the recommenders, provide them with the correct timeline for the application and provide all addresses or web links etc.
- Undergraduate financial aid will end when the student completes the program at William Paterson University.
- After the required 92.5 credits at WPUNJ, the number of credits required in the MS-Physician Assistant Program at Rutgers SHRP is 44 credits during the 4th year of study (136.5 credits for BS degree).
- Contact person is the admissions coordinator Rebecca Santiago: email@example.com