Michele Murphy, Esq.
Office: Hunziker Hall 132
Office Hours: By appointment
Department: Women's and Gender Studies
Position: Adjunct Professor
Area Specialization: Women's Changing Roles, Racism and Sexism and Women and the Law
Murphy is a practicing attorney, who specializes in child protection, custody and family law and civil rights litigation; and has been practicing since 2002.
• Member of Cambridge Who’s Who Society of Women in the Legal Field;
• First student in history of Nichols College and Mass. School of Law to receive joint JD/MBA;
• Member of the Connecticut Bar Association Law Works for People Bro Bono Program and was on 2004, 2006, Law Works for People Honor Roll;
• Received outstanding achievement award for community activism from New York City Department of Homeless Services and Volunteers of America;
• Received awards for outstanding achievement statewide for public service work in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, regarding public relations and newsletter work; and
• Received award from the Student Bar Association for outstanding service for the law school community for raising money for scholarships for indigent law students.
• Pro Bono Attorney and Board Member of Good Works, Inc., Hartford, CT., for women coming out of incarceration and being transitioned into society;
• Member of Founding Board of Directors of Bergen County Court Appointed Special Advocates, Inc. and served as secretary and voting member on the Board of Directors;
• Member of the National Association of Counsel for Children –and National Certification
• Member of the Connecticut Bar Association;
• Pro Bono Attorney for Connecticut Bar Association, Law Works for People;
• Delta Theta Phi Law Fraternity Member;
• Member of Association of Trial Lawyers of America;
• Former Chairperson and current active member of Public Relations and Government Relations Committees of the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks;
• Member of the American Bar Association;
• Troop #108 Leader of Girl Scouts of America and Heart of the Hudson;
• Spokesperson and founder of Citizens for a Safe Neighborhood- community organization that eradicated parolees and sex offenders in the NYC Camp LaGuardia Homeless Shelter and organization shut down same facility which was in a residential suburb;
• Former Director of the Student Bar Association at Massachusetts School of Law; and
* Teaches religion in her local church.