Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society
Pi Sigma Alpha is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and an affiliate of the American Political Science Association. Its purpose is to stimulate scholarship and intelligent interest in Political Science. The society functions at the national level, sponsoring programs, scholarship opportunities and events of value to the profession and teaching of political science, and at the chapter level in honoring all those students who have demonstrated excellence in both Political Science scholarship and service to the campus and wider community.
The requirements for admission into Pi Sigma Alpha are as follows:
Selection in the junior year is based on
1. Completion of at least 15 credits completed in 5 different Political Science courses at William Paterson University.
2. At least a 3.2 GPA in WPU Political Science courses.
3. No grade lower than a B- in WPU Political Science courses.
4. An overall WPU GPA of 3.2.
Selection in the senior year is based on
1. Completion of at least 15 credits completed in 5 different Political Science courses,at William Paterson University.
2. At least a 3.0 GPA in WPU Political Science courses.
3. An overall WPU GPA of 3.0.
Graduate students are also eligible for membership in Pi Sigma Alpha. For them, requirements are completion of 12 credits in Political Science courses and an overall GPA of 3.5.
It is not necessary to be a Political Science major to become a Pi Sigma Alpha member, as long as you have taken at least 15 credits in Political Science courses.
A departmental Honors Reception is held each April to honor Pi Sigma Alpha nominees as well as those who have won other awards and honors. To be officially enrolled as a Pi Sigma Alpha member, nominated students must pay a $25 membership fee. In return, they receive a frameable certificate and a medallion that can be worn at graduation.