Michael Luis Principe
Office: Raubinger 408
Office Hours: Spring 2014: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 3:30-4:30 pm and by appointment.
Department: Political Science
Position: Legal Studies director; Pre-Law advisor
Area Specialization: Constitutional law, comparative rights, political theory, international human rights & policy
Michael Luis Principe joined the political science faculty at William Paterson in 1998, after having taught constitutional law, international law, and criminal procedure at various law schools in the 1990s. Besides teaching courses in public law and political theory, he is the university's Pre-Law advisor, the Director of the Legal Studies Program (which was approved by the university in 2012), and the coordinator of the WPU Summer Program at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge University (which has been in existence since 2000). Dr. Principe earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from Whitman College (1978), his Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from the University of Washington (1983), and his Ph.D. in political science from the University of California, Santa Barbara (1992), where his mentors included C. Herman Pritchett, Gordon Baker, and Stanley Anderson. In addition to publishing a number of books, Professor Principe has had law review articles published by such prestigious universities as Harvard, Chicago, Wisconsin, Florida, and Loyola of Los Angeles. He was named a Fulbright Scholar for dissertation research (1990-91), a Visiting Scholar in comparative constitutional law at St. Edmund's College, Cambridge University (1993), Professor of the Year at the Salmon P. Chase College of Law (1996), and Visiting Fellow of St. Edmund’s College (2003). In both 2010 and 2012, Professor Principe was honored to have been selected as the recipient of the WPU Student Government Association’s Professor of the Year (Arnold Speert) Award.
Professor Principe's publications include:
- AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, POLICY, & LAW, Third Edition (Kendall/Hunt, 2012)
- BILLS OF RIGHTS: A COMPARATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL ANALYSIS, Second Ed. (Kendall/Hunt, 2009)
- The Constitution, Supreme Court, & Racial Justice, JUSTICE IN AMERICA, Wartyna L. Davis, ed. (Kendall/Hunt, 2009)
- Political Action Committees, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS, Vincent N. Parrillo, ed. (Sage, 2008)
- AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, POLICY, & LAW, Second Edition (Kendall/Hunt, 2006)
- "Les libertes civiles oubliees: Les restrictions apportees aux libertes civiles sont-elles acceptables au regard des principes constitutionnels? La loi Patriot ramene le pays quarante ans en arriere." PROJET, volume 279, March 2004, pages 85-90
- BILLS OF RIGHTS: A COMPARATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL ANALYSIS (Kendall/Hunt, 2000)
- AMERICAN GOVERNMENT, POLICY, & LAW (Kendall/Hunt, 2000)