Endorsement in Bilingual Education
The PATSEL, a national professional development grant by the U.S. Department of Education, provides academic preparation and scholarships (equivalent to WPU in-state tuition) for education majors to pursue a 12-credit additional bilingual certification as an endorsement on initial teaching certifications at the undergraduate level.
- Admission to P-3, K-5, P-3/K-5 Dual, K-5/5-8Endorsement, K-5/TSD Endorsement, or K-12 (Mathematics, Social Studies, or Science program)
- A personal interview with the Admissions Committee
Curriculum (12 Credits):
- CIED 2050 - Foundations of Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- TBED 3420 - Cross Linguistic Approach to Bilingual Development/Bilingualism
- CIED 3050 - Teaching Methods for English Language Learners
- ENG 4010 - Linguistics and Grammars
- Satisfactory completion of the curriculum with a 2.75 Grade Point Average or higher
- A score of at least an Intermediate High on the English Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI)
- A score of at least an Advanced Low on the English Written Proficiency Exam (WPT)
- A score of at least an Advanced Low on the target language OPI and WPT
The testing requirements must be met before student teaching begins
For more information on language testing, visit: http://www.languagetesting.com
Upon completion of the exit requirements, candidates will be awarded a scholarship (equivalent to WPU in-state undergraduate tuition for 12 credits).