Office: Atrium 247
Phone: (973) 720-3716
Office Hours: Tues. & Thurs. 3:00-3:30, Weds. 4:00-5:00 PM and by appointment
Department: Languages and Cultures
Area Specialization: Chinese literature, culture, German literature
- Ph.D., The Free University of Berlin, Germany
- MILS, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
- M.A., Peking University, Beijing, China
- B.A., Peking University, Beijing, China
- Chinese languges courses at all levels
- Buddhism, Taoism, and East Asian Culture (CHIN/ASN 202)
- Exploring Literature: East and West (CHIN/ASN 204)
- Introduction to Chinese Culture (CHIN/ASN 200)
- Modern Chinese Literature in Translation (CHIN 301/ASN 305)
- Chinese Popular Culture (CHIN 302 / ASN 306)
- Methods of Teaching Chinese As a Second/Foreign Language (CHIN 363)
- Contemporary Chinese Cinema (CHIN/ASN 375)
- Seminar in Chinese Literature and Culture (CHIN 400)
- Introduction to Asian Studies (ASN 201)
Book and Book Translation
- Expressionistische Nachdichtungen chinesischer Lyrik (Expressionistic Adoption of Chinese Poetry). Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 1990.
- Meixue (Theoretical Aesthetics) by Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten. [Translation from German into Chinese]. Beijing: Wenhua yishu chubanshe, 1987.
Refereed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Cultural Construction of War in Tang Frontier Poetry,” in Warfare in China and India, edited by Peter Lorge and Kaushik Roy (Routledge, forthcoming).
- “Meiguo fei chuantong fangshi peiyang hanyu jiaoshi de jihui yu tiaozhan.” (Alternative Route to Preparing Chinese Language Teachers in the United States). Guoji Hanyu Jiaoxue (Journal of International Chinese Language Education), Issue 4, (2010), 18-26.
- “Life’s Unattainable Goal and Actualized Meaning: Existential Anxiety and Zen Tranquility in Gao Xingjian’s Soul Mountain.” Chinese Literature: Essays, Articles, and Reviews. Volume 31 (2009): 51-70.
- “Liebian yu jubian: Gao Xingjian zuopin zhong congman zhangli de Zhongguo xing” (Fission and Fusion: The Dynamic Tension of Chineseness in Gao Xingjian’s Writing). Hong Kong Drama Review. No. 8 (2009): 61-78.
- “Hanyu jiaoxue zhong de wenhua yinsu” (Incorporating Cultural Elements into the Teaching of Chinese Language). In Di Wujie Guoji Hanyu Jiaoxue Xueshu Yantao Hui Lunwenji (Selected Papers from the 5th International Conference on Chinese Language Pedagogy). Zhu Yongsheng, Yao Daozhong zhubian. Shijie Tushu Chuban Gongsi: 2007, 145-150.
- “In Search of Creativity: Agony and Ecstasy in Gao Xingjian’s Lingshan.” Asiatische Studien/Etudes Asiatiques. Issue 4, (2004), 931-962.
- “Language Learning and the On-Line Environment: The Views of Learners of Chinese” (co-authored with Thomas Ihde). The Journal of Chinese Language Teachers Association 38.1 (2003): 25-50. (This article is an expanded version of the short essay “Autonomous Chinese Language Learning and Online Environment” published in Journal of Nanjing University.)
- “Online Chinese Language Learning.” International Research on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language. Ed. Wencao He. Nanjing Daxue Xuebao (Journal of Nanjing University), Spec. issue: Gaojiao Yanjiu Yu Tansuo (Research on Higher Education) (2002): 92-95.
- “Europäisierung, Subjektivierung und Erotisierung: Chinesische Liebeslyrik in Deutschen Nachdichtungen.” Mein Bild in deinem Auge: Exotismus und Moderne: Deutschland-China im 20. Jahrhundert. Ed. Wolfgang Kubin. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1995. 219-244.
- “Einige Aspekte der Deutschen Nachdichtungen chinesischer Literatur.” Neue Forschungen der chinesischen Germanisten in Deutschland. Ed. Jinyang Zhu. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 1991. 85-96.
- “Lun Herder meixue sixiang he wenxue lilun de jige jiben guandian” (Some Fundamental Arguments in Herder’s Aesthetics and Literary Theory). Waiguo wenxue pinlun (Foreign Literature Review). 4 (1988): 105-111. (This journal article won the Feng Zhi Prize of the Chinese Association for German Language and Literature in 1989).
- “Fushide” (Goethe's Faust) and “Qiangdao” (Friedrich Schiller's Räuber). Zhong wai wenxue shumu da wen (Review of the Masterpieces of the Chinese and World Literature). Ed. Xianlin Ji. Beijing: Zhongguo qingnian chubanshe, 1986. 603-613.
- "Leguan de zhexue: cong ‘Fushide’ tan Gede de zhexue sixiang” (Optimistic Philosophy: Goete’s Philosophical Thoughts in “Faust”). Du Shu (Beijng Monthly) 3 (1984): 21-28.
Editorial Reviewed Journal Article
- “Challenges and Issues of Chinese Teacher Preparation: A William Paterson University Case Study.” Journal of Chinese Teaching and Research in the U.S. Issue 2010: 40-45.
- “Social Realism.” Encyclopedia of Modern Asia: A Berkshire Reference Work. Eds. David Levinson and Karen Christensen. New York: Thomson, 2001. v. 5, 243-244.
Review Articles, Abstracts
- “CyberChinese.” CALICO 19.2 (2002): 381-389.
- “Silver City” by Li Rui. MultiCultural Review. 7.2 (1998): 70-71.
- Contributed more than 30 review abstracts covering wide ranges of academic disciplines from 1995-1998. Reference Reviews Europe Annual. Fiesole, Firenze: Casalili Libri, 1996-1999.
- “Von Ähnlichkeit der Mittlern Englischen und Deutschen Dichtkunst nebst Verschiedenem, das Daraus Folget." by Johann Gottfried Herder [translation]. Guowai Meixue (Aesthetics Abroad) 2, 1986: 65-72.
- “Dute de chuang zuo tujing, juda de shehui fanxiang – Jingte Warlafu de xiaoshuo Zui Dicheng” (“Unique Literary Approach and Sensational Social Effects -- Günther Wallraff and His Novel Ganz Unten)." Wenyi Bao (Literature and Arts) 10 May, 1986: 3-4. [Newspaper article]
Works in Progress
- Writing as a Way of Life: Gao Xingjian’s Autobiographical Fiction (Book manuscript to be completed in summer 2011)
- “Cultural Construction of War: Documentation and Representation of War in Tang poetry” for the book Warfare in China and India, edited by Peter Lorge and Kaushik Roy (The book is under contract with Routledge)
- “The Discourse of the Self in Gao Xingjian’s Fiction.”
- “Pursuit of Sincerity: Gao Xingjian’s Personal Novel.”
- “Creative Imperative: Loneliness, Desire, and Self-Quest in Gao Xingjian’s Fiction.”
Presentations at National and International Conferences
- “Challenges and Opportunities of Chinese Teacher Preparation,” presented at the 7th International Conference on Chinese Language Pedagogy. (Guiling, China, August 2009).
- “Dynamic Tension of Chineseness in Gao Xingjian’s Writing,” presented at the International Symposium on Gao Xingjian (The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, May 28-30, 2008).
- Panel Discussion on Chinese language teaching in College and teacher preparation,” 2008 CAERDA International Conference (New York City, March 2008).
- “Cultural Factors in Chinese Language Learning,” presented at the 5th International Conference on Chinese Language Pedagogy. (Shanghai, China, August 2006).
- “Online Chinese Language Learning and ” the 3rd International Conference on Chinese Pedagogy (Nanjing, China, June 2002)
- “Imaginary Discourse of the Self: Gao Xingjian’s Soul Mountain,” the 2nd International Convention of Asia Scholars (Berlin, Germany, August 2001)
- “The Role of the Teacher in Computer Assisted Language Learning,” jointly presented with Dr. Thomas Ihde at the Fourth Annual Conference of National Council of Organizations of Less Commonly Taught Languages (Washington D.C., April 2001)
- “Chinesische Liebeslyrik in Deutschen Nachdichtungen,” International Conference: Exotismus und Moderne: Deutschland-China im 20. Jahrhundert (Bonn, Germany: August 1999)