Rosa Soto, Ph.D.
Office: Atrium 246
Office Hours: see link on menu
Position: Assistant Professor
Area Specialization: Cultural Studies, American Literature, Ethnic Literature, Gender Studies.
“Maids, Mammies and Mothers: A Look at Latinas in the American Discourse” (Book).
“’Are you my Homie?’: Looking at Ethnic Collections and a New Financial Playground.” (Article)
“Meddling Mothers”: Machismo Political Identity Interrupted in Latino Culture. (Article)
1. NEH Summer Institute Award “Nature and History at the Nation’s Edge:
A Field Institute in Environmental and Borderlands History”.
2. “Made to be a Maid? An Examination of the Latina as Maid in Mainstream Film and Television.”
Mediated Women: Representation in Popular Culture. Hampton Press: Cresskill, New York, 2008.
3. A number of Enclyopedic Entries on a number of authors, including:
- “Soul Babies: Black Popular Culture and the Post-Soul Aesthetic,” and “Queen of the Scene.” The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Hip-Hop Literature.
- “José Martí.” The Encyclopedia of Africa and the Americas. Ed. Noelle Morrissette Searcy.
- “Junot Díaz,” “John Rechy,” and “The Miraculous Day of Amalia Gómez.” The Encyclopedia of American Ethnic Literature.
- “Luis J. Rodriguez.” Latinos and Latinas in US History and Culture: An Encyclopedia.
- “Maria Irene Fornes.” The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Multiethnic American Literature.