PATSEL ESL Certification Program: Summer 2015 Admissions
Candidate interviews for the Summer 2015 semesters will be scheduled soon. If you'd like to be considered for the PATSEL ESL scholarship, you need to submit the following documents (email: PATSEL@wpunj.edu or fax: 973-720-3094) no later than March 31, 2015.
1. Proof of employment as a Math, Science or Technology teacher (to be waived as your school is our PDS).
2. Copy of teaching certificates
3. Undergraduate transcripts (unofficial)
4. Two letters of recommendation from school administrators
The PATSEL, a national professional development grant by the U.S. Department of Education, provides academic preparation and scholarships (equivalent to WPU in-state tuition) for in-service teachers of Math and Science to pursue a 21-credit ESL certification program at the graduate level.
- Teaching certificate(s) - Standard or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standy Only)
- A cumulative undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a school administrator or supervisor who can attest to the applicant's professional abilities.
- A personal interview with the Admissions Committee.
Curriculum (21 Credits):
- TBED 5390 General Linguistics
- TBED 5420 Multiculturalism and Acculturation
- TBED 6070 Applied Linguistics: Second Language Acquisition
- TBED 6400 Content Area Instruction and Assessment in ESL
- TBED 6410 Methods and Materials in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- TBED 6430 Structure of American English
- TBED 6610 Field Research: Internship in ESL
- Satisfactory completion of the curriculum (a grade point average of 3.0 with no C in all course work)
- Completion of sheltered English instruction workshops for mentors.
- A score of Advanced Low on Oral Profciency interviews and Written Proficiency examinations in English on examinations required for a candidate to receive endorsement from the state of New Jersey.
For more information on language testing, visit: