The PATSEL, a national professional development grant by the U.S. Department of Education, provides academic preparation and scholarships (equivalent to WPU in-state tuition) for education majors to pursue a 12-credit additional bilingual certification as an endorsement on initial teaching certifications at the undergraduate level.
- Admission to P-3, K-6, P-3/K-6 Dual, K-6/5-8Endorsement, K-6/TSD Endorsement, or K-12 (Mathematics, Social Studies, or Science program)
- A personal interview with the Admissions Committee
Curriculum (12 Credits):
- CIED 2050 - Foundations of Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- TBED 3420 - Cross Linguistic Approach to Bilingual Development/Bilingualism
- CIED 3050 - Teaching Methods for English Language Learners
- ENG 4010 - Linguistics and Grammars
- Satisfactory completion of the curriculum with a 2.75 Grade Point Average or higher
- Language Proficiency Testing:
A score of at least an intermediate high on English Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI)
A score of at least an Advanced Low on English Written Proficiency Exam (WPT)
A score of at least an Advanced Low on the target language OPI and WPT
- The testing requirements must be met before student teaching begins
For more information on language testing, visit: http://www.languagetesting.com
Upon completion of the exit requirements, candidates will be awarded a scholarship (equivalent to WPU in-state undergraduate tuiton for 12 credits).