- BA/BS Degree from an accredited institution
- 3.0 GPA (2.75 GPA for candidates who earned degree in 2012 or prior)
- K-6 (Elementary Education) requires 60 credits in the liberal arts or sciences.
- K-6/5-8 (Middle School Education) requires 15 credits in the subject area to be taught.
- K-12 (Secondary Education) requires 30 credits in the subject area to be taught 12 credits must be a level 300 or 400 level.
**Passing Praxis II scores by September (To start in January)**
- Elementary Education requires candidates to pass Praxis II: Elementary Education Multiple Subjects: Content Knowledge (Code:5001)
- Middle School Education requires candidates to pass Elementary Education Multiple Subjects: Content Knowledge (Code:5001) AND Middle School Subject: Content Knowledge (Code varies depending on subject desired to teach)
- For example:
- Praxis II Middle School Math (Code 5169)
- Praxis II Middle School Science (Code 5440)
- Praxis II Middle School Social Studies (Code 5089)
- Praxis II Middle School English Language Arts (Code 5047)
*VIEW IMPORTANT LINKS TO REGISTER FOR THE PRAXIS II EXAM*
- Essay: Why do I want to teach, and what do I want to teach? Include any experience working with children.
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Certificate of Eligibility from NJDOE for initial certification area: Elementary, Middle School or High School Education must be obtained by September