Please note that requirements for entry into William Paterson University teacher preparation programs are changed for those wishing to begin their studies after Fall 2014. In order for William Paterson University to consider you for admission to the program the following will be required:
- B.A. degree from an accredited college or university with an approved liberal arts or science academic major (see list provided by the Office of Certification)
- Final, cumulative GPA of 3.00 from undergraduate or graduate degree
- All candidates must pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Test, or a score of 1660 or higher on the SAT or 23 or higher on the ACT, or at least a 4 on the analytical writing sections and a combined score of 310 on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Please note that the score of 1660 includes the writing section.
- Passing score on Praxis II Elementary Education Content Knowledge Examination (test code 5031 effective 9/1/12 or test code 5001 effective 9/1/14).
- Links to these tests can be found at: https://www.ets.org/praxis/institutions/about
- Must pass the College of Education Speech and Hearing screenings by completion of 9 graduate credits. Information is available at: http://www.wpunj.edu/coe/departments/cert/assessment
- Completion of *co-requisite Developmental Psychology (may be taken at undergraduate or graduate level):
- An essay that describes the personal reasons for wanting to complete the program : Click to view writing prompt
- Completed Application Form submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions & Enrollment Services plus two letters of recommendation from professional sources
Here are some helpful links regarding the Praxis Core.
The website also has pages for each section. They have free guides online which help one to know the content and format of each section: