Please note that requirements for entry into William Paterson University teacher preparation programs are changed for those wishing to begin their studies for Fall 2014 and beyond, in keeping with expected changes from the NJ Department of Education. In order for William Paterson University to consider you for admission to your program of interest for Fall 2014 and beyond, the following will be required:
- B.A. degree from an accredited college or university with an approved liberal arts or science academic major (see list provided by the Office of Certification)
- Final, cumulative GPA of 3.00 from undergraduate or graduate degree
- Must pass a test of basic skills for all new teachers: Core Academic Skills for Teachers #5751 from Educational Testing Services (ETS).
- Must pass the College of Education Speech and Hearing screenings by completion of 9 graduate credits. Information is available at: http://www.wpunj.edu/coe/departments/cert/assessment
- Completion of *Co-requisite Courses (may be taken at undergraduate or graduate level): Developmental Psychology, Educational Psychology and Multicultural Course (see advisor for list of acceptable courses)
- An essay that describes the personal reasons for wanting to complete the program : Click to view writing prompt
- Passing score on Praxis II Elementary Education Content Knowledge Examination (test code 5031 effective 9/1/12 or test code 5001 effective 9/1/14)
- Completed Application Form submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions & Enrollment Services plus two letters of recommendation from professional sources
Here are some helpful links regarding the Praxis Core.
The website also has pages for each section. They have free guides online which help one to know the content and format of each section: